Willamette MBA Mentorship Program
About the Program:
The Willamette MBA Mentorship Program matches students with experienced professionals for guidance and support. Mentors provide the link between academic theories and the realities of the business world.The mission is to foster relationships between corporate leaders, alumni, and current students through exposure to real-world business environments. The primary goal is for the mentor to coach the student with their stated professional development goals throughout the academic year. Mentors are chosen for their success in business and their coaching/mentoring abilities and interests. Their commitment is to a face-to-face meeting once per month with the student, September through April.
Students are paired with a business professional whose expertise closely matches the students stated professional development goals. Students enrolled in the Full-time MBA and MBAP program are eligible to participate. This program allows students to explore different industries, review career paths, improve networking and professional presence skills or just learn about the US business environment. Mentors experience the opportunity to help students define their futures and, for alumni, further enhance their own MBA experience.
Requirements of the Program
- Initiate the relationship by contacting your assigned mentor and scheduling your first meeting
- Attend the September 19 Kick off event
- Draft a list of your top 5 professional development goals and bring this with you to your first meeting with your mentor
- Develop a Professional Development Plan for 2012-2013 with your mentor and turn in to Beth Ursin no later than October 15.
- Schedule your monthly meetings for the year in your first meeting with the mentor
- Convey your expectations of the relationship
- Set objectives for each meeting with your mentor
- Establish open communication with your mentor
- Be flexible to accommodate your mentor's schedule and be the one to initiate the relationship
- Send monthly progress updates to Beth (due on the 15th of each month)
- Attend the volunteer thank you reception on Thursday, May 2nd at 5:30pm
- Bring your mentor the thank you gift if they are unable to attend the reception.
Apply to the Program:
- Attend the information session: Wed, August 15 at 4:30p in Mudd Bldg Rm 204
- Complete an application by Sunday August 19 at 11:59pm
- Schedule an appointment with Beth Ursin through Navigator if you haven't already had an Early Access appointment of met with Beth within the last 3 months.
- Contact Beth Ursin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- SAVE THE DATE for the 2012 -13 Mentorship Program Kick-Off event on September 19, 2012