Martin's Golden Goal Sends Bearcats Past Bruins, 1-0

Penalty Box Scramble Leads to Game-Winner

By Timothy Walsh, Athletics Communications Writer

NEWBERG, ORE. -- Willamette University struggled for over 90 minutes to break down George Fox University's stubborn defense, but a scrappy overtime goal from Kevin Martin (Jr., D, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, CA/Francis Parker School) snatched the Bearcats all three points on the road Saturday afternoon. Willamette defeated George Fox, 1-0.

The sequence leading to Martin's golden goal began with a throw-in on the left sideline that made its way into the Bruins' penalty box. No George Fox player was able to control possession during the ensuing scramble, and when the ball finally popped loose, Martin coolly slotted home from five yards out. The goal was scored 3:53 into the first sudden-death overtime period.

The victory provided a measure of revenge for the Bearcats, who suffered a 1-0 loss to the Bruins just two weeks ago at Sparks Field. With the win, Willamette improved to 6-6-1, with a 3-4-1 mark in Northwest Conference play. George Fox dropped to 2-10-1, 2-6.

Willamette dominated play from the start, peppering the Bruins with seven shots during the opening period. Austin Jacobson (Fr., MF, Salem, OR/South Salem HS) first called George Fox goalkeeper Elliott Davis into action with a shot that forced a save at the 12:01 mark.

Later, Davis himself was forced out of the game while punching a ball out of the box. Tyler Yates (Fr., F, Kailua-Kona, HI/Kealakehe HS) later tested backup keeper Luis Angel Del Rio with a shot of his own at 28:39.

George Fox gained only two shots during the first half, with neither effort troubling goalkeeper Brayden Calder (Fr., GK, Philomath, OR/Philomath HS).

In the early stages of the second period, Willamette pressed forward in search of a go-ahead goal, but Davis, who returned to action after halftime, turned aside a 51st minute strike by Mike McGrew (Sr., MF, Portland, OR/Grant HS).

The game then took a physical turn, with five yellow cards handed out between 61:12 and 84:57. McGrew and Etienne Galbreath (Sr., D, Portland, OR/Grant HS) went into the book for the Bearcats, while Luke Dickens, Steven Haga, and Conor Ike all saw yellow for the Bruins.

Calder gained his only save of the game at 84:05, saving the free kick resulting from Galbreath's yellow card. Yates went close again for Willamette, forcing an 89th minute save from Davis, but the teams remained scoreless after 90 minutes - setting the stage for Martin's overtime heroics.

In addition to Martin, Calder, and Galbreath, Adam Lewis (So., MF, Corvallis, OR/Crescent Valley HS), Trevor Jensen (Jr., MF, Chula Vista, CA/Bonita HS), Patrick Yagi (Jr., D, Sammamish, WA/Eastlake HS), and Sam Gonzalez (Fr., D, Junction City, OR/Junction City HS) each played the full 94 minutes for the Bearcats. Willamette earned a 16-5 advantage in shots, with a 10-5 edge on corner kicks.

The Bearcats continue their road swing tomorrow, meeting Pacific University at Lincoln Park Stadium in Forest Grove, Ore. Kickoff is set for 2:30 p.m. (PDT).


Willamette University 1
George Fox University 0

Kevin Martin scored the game's only goal 3:53 into the first overtime period.

Kevin Martin scored the game's only goal 3:53 into the first overtime period.