Redlands Outscores Bearcats 91-86 in Overtime at Chapman Tournament

Babcock-Krenk Hits Six 3-Pointers, Leads Willamette with 24 Points

By Robert McKinney, Athletics Communications Director, (503) 370-6110

ORANGE, CALIF. -- Willamette University led 84-83 in overtime, but the University of Redlands scored the next eight points on its way to a 91-86 win over the Bearcats in the first round of the Chapman Tournament on Tuesday, Dec. 18 at the Hutton Sports Center.

Redlands improved to 7-2 on the season. Willamette dropped to 3-6.

Willamette rallied from a 39-29 halftime deficit to lead 77-72 with 2:02 left in regulation, but Redlands eventually forced overtime on a jumper by Tristan Kirk that tied the game at 78-78 with 26 seconds remaining.

In overtime, Willamette scored first on a basket by Sean Dart (Sr., Post, Bend, OR/Mountain View HS/Eastern Oregon Univ.) with 4:44 to go. WU also held an 84-83 lead following a basket by Dart with 1:54 remaining. Redlands took an 85-84 advantage on two free throws by Kirk at the 1:04 mark.

Terrell Malley (Sr., Guard, Portland, OR/Roosevelt HS) of Willamette had a contest layup roll out of the basket with 47 seconds left. Eric Radford of Redlands rebounded the ball and made two free throws with 43 seconds on the clock for an 87-84 lead.

Redlands added four more points to increase its margin to 91-84. Dart earned an offensive rebound and a basket just before the buzzer for the final score.

Elliot Babcock-Krenk (Sr., Wing, Lake Oswego, OR/Lake Oswego HS/Humboldt State Univ.) led Willamette in scoring with 24 points. Dart earned 23 points and a game-high 14 rebounds. Malley contributed 19 points and five assists for the Bearcats.

The Bulldogs placed five players in double figures, led by Brian Kuklok with 18 points. Kirk added 16 points, four boards and three assists. Eric Radford finished with 12 points and seven rebounds.

Matt Calhoun and Ricky Peetz each provided Redlands with 11 points. Alex Rudd scored nine points and tied Radford with a team-high seven boards.

Willamette struggled on offense in the first half, as the Bearcats made only 8 of 27 field goals (29.6%). Meanwhile, Redlands shot 56.0% in the first half, hitting 14 of 25 field goal attempts.

Redlands was in front 16-6 after Josiah Brensdal scored a basket with 11:32 left in the half. Willamette produced a 9-0 run on a 3-pointer by Babcock-Krenk, plus two 3-pointers by Malley, to cut the margin to 16-15 just over a minute later at the 10:24 mark.

The Bulldogs responded with a 15-4 run that put Redlands up 31-19 with 4:45 remaining. Babcock-Krenk registered the next seven points for the Bearcats, as he earned a 4-point play with a 3-pointer and a free throw, and then added another 3-pointer with 3:48 on the clock.

Redlands owned a 35-29 edge late in the half, and scored the final four points for a 39-29 margin at the break.

Dart scored for WU just eight seconds into the second half, but Kuklok sank a 3-pointer 24 seconds later to give Redlands a 42-31 lead. The Bearcats answered with a 9-0 run.

A basket by Dart and a 3-pointer from Babcock-Krenk started the run. Dart added a pair of free throws with 17:06 left and completed the run with a jumper with 15:46 to go.

WU trailed 44-40 before Malley connected on a 3-pointer at the 15:18 mark. Babcock-Krenk added a 3-pointer with 14:53 remaining, as the Bearcats took a 46-44 lead.

Dart scored on an assist from Trevor Bos (Sr., G, Lakewood, CA/St. John Bosco HS), and Kyle McNally (So., Post, Salem, OR/Sprague HS) grabbed an offensive rebound and scored on the put-back with 13:54 to go, as Willamette claimed its largest lead at 50-44.

McNally's basket concluded 10 consecutive points for the Bearcats, giving Willamette a combined 19-2 run over a 5:34 span.

Later in the half., the Bulldogs tied the score at 50-50 and the game remained close the rest of the way.

Redlands earned the fifth tie of the half at 63-63, but Babcock-Krenk sank a 3-pointer with 6:11 to play. Willamette led 73-69 following a 3-pointer by Malley with 4:00 left, and held a 77-72 lead after a jumper by Malley with just over two minutes remaining.

Brensdal hit 1 of 2 free throws for the Bulldogs with 1:25 on the clock. A 3-pointer by Rudd with 1:01 left pulled Redlands within 77-76. Dart made 1 of 2 free throws with 45 seconds to go for a two-point lead, but Kirk connected on the tying basket with 26 seconds left.

Willamette had two chances to win in regulation. Bos missed a 3-pointer with six seconds left. McNally hauled down the rebound and missed a shot with two seconds remaining.

For the game, Redlands shot 45.6% (31 of 68), while Willamette converted 43.5% from the field (30 of 69). The Bearcats were a solid 58.1% on field goals in the second half (18 of 31). Both teams struggled in overtime, as WU went 4 for 11 (36.4%) and Redlands was 2 for 8.

The Bearcats finished 12 of 32 on 3-pointers (37.5%), but went 0 for 4 in overtime. Redlands was 9 of 27 from 3-point range (33.3%). Willamette made just 14 of 27 free throws (51.9%), including 7 of 16 (43.8%) in the second half.

Redlands converted 20 of 24 free throws (83.3%). The Bulldogs hit 5 of 9 free throws in the second half and went 8 for 8 at the line in overtime.

Led by Dart's 14 boards, the Bearcats ended the night with a 44-42 rebounding margin.

Willamette will take on host Chapman University in the second round of the tournament on Wednesday, Dec. 19 at 6:30 p.m. (PST). Chapman lost to Whitworth University, 67-62, in the other first round game.


University of Redlands 91
Willamette University 86 (OT)
(At Chapman Tournament)

Elliot Babcock-Krenk hit six 3-pointers and led the Bearcats with 24 points.

Elliot Babcock-Krenk hit six 3-pointers and led the Bearcats with 24 points.