Indicators of Achievement
The major in the Department of Anthropology is designed around five curricular goals.
The Student Learning Outcomes of the Anthropology Department Include
- A foundation in the anthropological perspective--especially that of sociocultural anthropology--as represented by the Department’s introductory courses, area courses, and topical courses
- Ability to apply anthropological theory and concepts
- Proficiency with ethnographic methods, in particular techniques of participant- observation, interviewing, developing of rapport, and sensitivity to ethical issues
- Discipline-based writing skills, including the writing of ethnography and writing based upon library research, utilizing the style guide of the American Anthropological Association
- Recognition of the contributions of anthropology towards practical problem-solving (i.e., applied anthropology.)