Indicators of Achievement
The goals of the computer science department are:
- To introduce the student to the fundamentals of computer programming and theory and to the underlying mathematical and scientific principles.
- To prepare students for employment in the computing industry or for postgraduate study in computer science.
- To provide students with an understanding of professional responsibilities and the importance of life-long learning.
- To develop skills for teamwork including collaboration and oral and written communications.
Student Learning Outcomes for the Computer Science Major
- Students will achieve proficiency in discrete math
- Students will achieve proficiency in Computer Science skills (fundamentals of programming, computer organization, architecture, algorithms, theory, designing and implementing software)
- Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Students will demonstrate the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Students will demonstrate the ability to work independently to analyze and solve problems
- Students will be engaged in the professional community