Indicators of Achievement
The goals of the computer science department are:
• To introduce the student to the fundamentals of computer programming and theory and to the underlying mathematical and scientific principles.
•To prepare students for employment in the computing industry or for postgraduate study in computer science.
•To provide students with an understanding of professional responsibilities and the importance of life-long learning.
•To develop skills for teamwork including collaboration and oral and written communications.
Student Learning Outcomes for the Computer Science Major
- Students will achieve proficiency in discrete math
- Students will achieve proficiency in Computer Science skills (fundamentals of programming, computer organization, architecture, algorithms, theory, designing and implementing software)
- Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Students will demonstrate the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Students will demonstrate the ability to work independently to analyze and solve problems
- Students will be engaged in the professional community