Careers in Classical Studies
A classical education opens the path to fame and riches for you.
You think we are joking?
Have a look at the "classical careers" of these more or less famous people who were all trained in Greek and Latin.
Willamette University's own Classics graduates may not be rich and famous yet (after all, our Classics program was only started in 1998), but they are all doing quite well, as you can see here.
- Social activist; Born: September 6, 1860 in Cedarville, IL; Died: May 31, 1935 in Chicago, IL
- Politician; Born: April 28, 1930 in Houston, TX
- Journalist; Born: August 26, 1921 in Boston, MA
- Politician; Born: April 7, 1938 in San Francisco, CA
- Novelist, poet, screenwriter, and activist; Born: November 28, 1944, in Hanover, Pennsylvania
- Social activist; Born: December 7, 1873 near Winchester, VA; Died: April 24, 1947 in New York, NY
- Author & screenwriter; Born: August 28, 1888 in Chicago, IL; Died: March 26, 1959 in La Jolla, CA
- Native American educator and activist; Born: December 28, 1884 on the Winnebago Reservation in Northeast Nebraska; Died: February 9, 1950 in Siletz, Oregon
- Politician; Born: August 28, 1940 in Bangor, ME
- Harry "Bing" Crosby; Popular singer & actor; Born: May 3, 1903 in Tacoma, WA; Died: October 14, 1977 near Madrid, Spain
- Author; Born: September 29, 1930 in Stamford, Lincolnshire, UK
- Radio talk show host; Born: 1966
- Sociologist and social activist; Born: February 23, 1868 in Great Barrington, MA; Died: August 27, 1963 in Accra, Ghana
- Artist; Born: 1969 in Lexington, KY
- Computer entrepreneur; Born: September 11, 1939 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Politician and former director of the CIA; Born: December 10, 1938 in Waterbury, CT
- British stand-up comedian; Born: September 10, 1978, from Sussex, UK.
- Fruit detective (journalist & photographer); Born: in New York, NY
- Former CEO of Lotus Development Corp.; Born: 1952
- Journalist, political economist, philosopher; Born: May 5, 1818 in Trier, Germany; Died: March 14, 1883 in London
- Author and winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature (1993); Born: 1931
- Philosopher; Born: October 15, 1844 in Röcken, Prussian Province of Saxony, Germany; Died: August 25, 1900 in Weimar, Germany
- Joanne Kathleen "Jo" Rowling; Best-selling author and multimillionaire; Born: 1965
- British author, translator, and Christian humanist.; British author, translator, and Christian humanist.; Born: June 13, 1893 in Oxford, UK; Died: August 28, 1957 in Witham, Essex, UK
- German-American revolutionary, journalist, and politician; Born: March 2, 1829 in Liblar near Cologne, Germany; Died: May 14, 1906 in New York, NY
- Journalist; ABC news correspondent; Born: March 4, 1942 in Philadelphia, PA
- Author of the Lord of the Rings trilogy; Born: January 3, 1892 in Bloemfontein, South Africa; Died: September 2, 1973 in Bournemouth, Dorset, England
- Billionaire philanthropist, cattle breeder, owner of a restaurant chain, and ex-media mogul; Born: November 19, 1938 in Cincinnati, OH
- Former governor of Massachusetts (1991-1997); Born: July 31, 1945 in Smithtown, NY