Dimitar L. Dimitrov
- Ph.D. in Geography, Sofia University, 1999
- M.Ed. Portland State University, 2012
- M.Sc. Geography, Sofia University, 1980
- World Geography
Courses Taught Elsewhere:
University of Mary Washington:
- Political Geography
- Geography of Europe
- Human Geography
Virginia Commonwealth University:
- World Regions
- Introduction to Human Geography
Portland State University:
- Russia and It's Neighbors
- Eastern Europe: Challenges of Transition
- Economic, Social, and Political Geography of Europe, Asia and Africa
- Regional Aspects of Economic Integration
- World Economy: Contemporary Tendencies and Problems
- Cultural Geography of East and Southeast Asia
I am a broadly trained geographer. My professional interests are in the areas of Human, Economic, and Political Geography, with regional foci on Europe, the Russian Domain, and China. In particular, I have concentrated on the industrial and agricultural reconstruction, employment and unemployment, investment policies, and ethnic and religious conflicts in these regions.
My dissertation research focused on the reconstruction of the Eastern European and Russian automobile industries during the period of transition towards a market economy.
- Dimitrov, D., 1993. Automobiles: Industry, Manufacturers, Markets. Heron Press, Sofia, 1993.
- Dimitrov, D. 1999. Changes in the territorial structure of Hungarian automobile industry during the 90-s - Annual of Sofia University, 2 – 92.
- Dimitrov, D. 1999. The agriculture of China - The Teaching of Geography, 1, Sofia.
- Dimitrov, D. 1998. Automobile industry as an object of geographical research - Annual of Sofia University 2 – 91.
- Dimitrov, D. 1998. The motor transport of the European Union (EU) - The Teaching of Geography, 1, Sofia.
- Dimitrov, D. 1997. Characteristic features of the contemporary regional development in China -Annual of Sofia University 2 - 88.
- Dimitrov, D. 1994. East European countries and the global process of automobilization – Problems of Geography, 2, Sofia.
- Dimitrov, D. 1994. Russia: History. Population. Economy. Regions. - The Teaching of Geography, 1, Sofia.
- Dimitrov, D. 1994. About localization of auto assembling plants in East European countries – Annual of Sofia University, 2 - 85.
- Dimitrov, D. 1992. Economic and geographical problems in the development of motor transport in European CMEA member countries - Annual of Sofia University, 2 - 82.
- Dimitrov, D. 1992. Global and regional aspects of automobilization - Geography, 4, Sofia.
- Dimitrov, D. 1991. The motor transport of Romania - Geography, 4, Sofia.
- Dimitrov, D. 1991. Cotton growing and spatial structure of cotton industry in Bulgaria - Problems in textile geography, 4, Lodz University Press, Poland, 125 – 33.
Work in Progress
- Spatial pattern of the ethnic and religious problems in the Balkan countries and its interaction with the regional social and economic development: Bulgaria and Macedonia, manuscript in progress.
- Regional peculiarities of the unemployment in Bulgaria, ongoing research.
- Regional aspects of ethnic and religious problems in the Balkan countries, ongoing research.