Michael Lockard, Ph.D.
- 2009 Ph.D. University of Maryland - Kinesiology (Exercise Physiology). The Effect of Thrombin on Endothelial Progenitor Cells with Exercise and Exercise Training.
- 2003 M.A. University of Maryland - Kinesiology (Exercise Physiology). Prothrombin Fragment 1+2 Response to 6 Months of Exercise Training In Sedentary Individuals.
- 2001 B.S. Springfield College - Sports Biology
Professor Lockard is the instructor of record for the Physiology of Exercise (EXSCI 360), Human Physiology (BIOL 260), and Disease Prevention (IDS 224) courses and associated laboratories. He also teaches the Research Design (EXSCI 356W) course and contributes to the Senior Seminar (EXSCI 496).
Moore, G. & Lockard M.M. (2009). Bleeding and Clotting Disorders. In: Exercise Management for Persons with Chronic Diseases and Disabilities, 3rd edition. American College of Sports Medicine, Human Kinetics.
Refereed Research Papers
- Soma, E., Lockard, M.M. & Stavrianeas, S. (2010). Challenging the accuracy of a single-test lactate threshold protocol in collegiate rowers. International Journal of Exercise Science 3(4). 206-213.
- Lockard, M.M., Witkowski, S., Spangenburg, E.E., Jenkins, N.T., Obisesan, T.O. & Hagberg, J.M. (2010). Thrombin and exercise similarly influence expression of cell cycle genes in cultured putative endothelial progenitor cells, Journal of Applied Physiology. 108. 1682-90.
- Witkowski, S., Lockard, M.M., Jenkins, N.T., Obisesan, T.O., Spangenburg, E.E. & Hagberg, J.M. (2010). Relation of circulating progenitor cells to vascular function and oxidative stress with long term training and short term detraining in older men. Clinical Science (Lond).118; 303-311.
- Lockard, M.M., Gopinathannair, M., Paton, C.M., Phares, D.A. & Hagberg, J.M. (2007). Exercise training-induced changes in coagulation factors in older adults. Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise 39(4):587-92.
- Lockard, M.M., Witkowski, S., Jenkins, N.T., Spangenburg, E.E., Obisesan, T.O. & Hagberg, J.M. Thrombin and exercise similarly influence expression of cell cycle genes in cultured putative endothelial progenitor cells. (In review).
Presentations (* student collaborator)
- Lockard MM, *Kessler NJ, Hong JJ, *Siebuhr RA. (2012) von Willebrand Factor and Blood Flow Response to Whole Body Vibration in Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. Poster presentation at the ACSM National Meeting.
- *Kessler NJ, Lockard MM, Hong JJ. (2012) Effects of Whole Body Vibration on Pain, Nerve Conduction and Hemodynamics in Individuals with Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. Poster presentation at the ACSM National Meeting. Poster.
- *Clark LN, *O’Leary CB, Hong JJ, Lockard MM. (2012) Effects of Static and Dynamic Stretching on Presynaptic Inhibition. Poster presentation at the ACSM NW Regional Meeting.
- *Soma, E., *Schultz, L., Lockard, M. & Stavrianeas, S. (2009). Effectiveness of single lactate test in determining lactate threshold in collegiate rowers. Poster presentation at the Northwest American College of Sports Medicine regional meeting.
- *Rice, D., *Nakata, K. & Lockard, M. (2009). Influence of exercise training on blood hemostasis. Poster presentation at the Northwest American College of Sports Medicine regional meeting.
- Lockard, M.M., Brandauer, J., Weiss, E.P., Gopinathannair, R., Kulaputana, O. & Hagberg, J.M. (2007). The association of impaired glucose tolerance and insulin resistance with hemostatic imbalance Poster presentation for the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology Annual Meeting.
- Gopinathannair, R., Lockard, M.M., Paton Park, J.Y., Phares, D.A. & Hagberg, J.M. (2005). Plasma lipoprotein lipids do not regulate exercise training-induced changes in coagulation factor VIII antigen and prothrombin fragment 1+2 levels in sedentary, dyslipidemic individuals. Slide presentation for the American College of Cardiology Annual Scientific Session.
- Lockard, M.M., Paton, C.M., Prior, S.J., Phares, D.A., & Hagberg, J.M. (2004). G protein Beta-3 C825T polymorphism and body composition, fasting insulin and glucose with 6 months of aerobic exercise training Poster presentation for the APS Experimental Biology meeting. FASEB Journal.
- Lockard, M.M., Phares, D.A., Halverstadt, A.A., Ferrell, R.E., Goldberg, A.P. & Hagerg, J.M. (2003). Common genetic polymorphisms and cholesterol response to exercise training. Poster presentation for the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., 35 (5supp.).
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- American Physiological Society (APS)