Health Insurance Requirements
For International Students and Accompanying Family Members
Willamette Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna)
Health care is very expensive in the United States, therefore, all students attending Willamette University, including international students and their accompanying family members, are required to have health insurance throughout their program. We do not want your investment in higher education to be interrupted or ruined because of expensive health issues. Quality insurance can help prevent that.
Willamette provides a student health insurance plan through Aetna insurance company that complies with the U.S. Affordable Care Act standards. This plan also meets health insurance requirements for “J” visa students. All international students and dependents are automatically enrolled in the Willamette Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna). The Willamette student health insurance cost for students and dependents are automatically billed to each student account at the beginning of each semester. Payment is required at the time tuition and other charges are paid. Willamette University does not "make money" for providing this insurance. All costs associated with enrollment go directly into the insurance plan. It is reasonably priced for the high level of coverage it provides.
2014/2015 Willamette Student Health Insurance Policy
There is NO pre-existing condition exclusion and coverage for all covered conditions and covered treatment is unlimited. As with all U.S. plans, there are some costs that you will have to pay, even with insurance, however, you will be much less likely to have medical expenses that would prevent you from continuing to study.
Plan Benefits Added for the 2014/2015 Plan Year:
- Unlimited Plan Maximum
- Pediatric Dental Coverage
- Pediatric Vision Coverage
The 2013/2014 Plan Brochure has the same benefits for the 2014/2015 school year with the above benefits added. This information can also be downloaded from the right on this page.
Enrollment in the WU/Aetna Student Health plan is done by the Office of International Education.
Plan Prices 2014- 2015
Enrollment Application & Waiver Request
Every international student must complete the Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Request Form- available to the right under the heading Download the Form. Late and incomplete waiver requests will not be considered so please note the deadlines carefully. The waiver criteria for 2014 - 2015 will be different than they were in 2013-2014.
TO DO: Choose to Enroll or Request a Waiver. This is process cannot be done online. Full instructions, including how to submit, are included on the Health Insurance Enrollment or Waiver Request form.
- Download and print the Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Request form (download and print from right hand column).
- Complete Option A to enroll in insurance or complete Option B to request a waiver. If you do not do either, you (and your dependents) will automatically be enrolled in the university health insurance and be responsible for the cost.
- Submit your enrollment or waiver request by the deadline to the Office of International Education as per instructions.
Option A: To Enroll
You will automatically be enrolled in the university’s health insurance; however, it is helpful for us to know that you won’t request a waiver. Please submit to the Office of International Education page 1 of the Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Request form with Option A (page 1) completed. ID cards will be available online about the second week of September. You will receive a notice via email on what to do when it is available.
Option B: To Waive/Decline
If you BRING HEALTH INSURANCE coverage with you, you may be able to waive out of the university's student health insurance. No one is automatically given a waiver nor is a waiver guaranteed. If you are a sponsored student, you must also follow this process.
If you want to be considered for a waiver, you must fully complete the Waiver Request form and provide supporting documents. Late and incomplete waiver requests will not be considered so please note the deadlines carefully. GO TO THE WAIVE INSURANCE PAGE for full information and criteria.
NOTIFICATION: After submitting a complete request, you will be notified within 2 weeks via email about whether or not your insurance meets the insurance waiver requirements. See the form for full information. In the fall you must show proof of coverage for the ENTIRE academic year of your program, therefore be sure you have proof of coverage for the length of your program's academic year.
If your waiver request is not approved, you will remain enrolled in the insurance and be responsible for the insurance cost that is billed to your student account.
Waiver Request Deadlines:
September 5, 2014 (for students at WU for the academic year or fall only)
January 30, 2015 (for students who attend WU ONLY in SPRING 2015)
NOTE: The deadline to request a waiver is different for international students than the deadline for domestic students.
The information on this page can be downloaded in PDF form. See Health Insurance Requirements 2014-2015 document at right.
Download the Form
- International Insurance Enrollment/Waiver Request Form PDF
- Information Sheet: WU Health Insurance Requirements 2014-2015 (for international students) PDF
- Annual/fall Waiver Request deadline: Friday, September 5, 2014
- Spring Waiver Request deadline: Friday, January 30, 2015 (students ONLY attending WU in spring)
U.S. Students need to go to Bishop Health Center's website to waive the plan.
Brochures & Resources
Health Plan Benefit Brochure 2014-2015 PDF
- "On-Call" Assistance Brochure 2014-2015 PDF (for information about medical evacuation, repatriation, and travel assistance)
"On-Call" Assistance, online information: click on FOR MEMBERS, then click on TRAVEL ASSISTANCE
- Benefit Summary 2013-2014 PDF, use this summary for information on services 8/1/2013-7/31/2014
- Benefit Brochure 2013-2014 PDF, use this brochure for information on services 8/1/2013-7/31/2014
How to Use Your Student Health Plan with Aetna
Using Your WU Health Insurance Plan (Aetna)
- Get your Aetna Student Health Insurance ID CARD, see Step 2: How To Use Your Student Health Plan Insurance
- Print a contact information card for "On-Call" Assistance services, with phone number contact information. PDF
- Access information about your insurance from this site: How To Use Your Student Health Plan Insurance
For Additional Information
Willamette Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna)
- Bishop Wellness Center
On the International Student/Scholar Insurance waiver process
- Contact Ramona