Policies and Procedures
- Outgoing mail drop box is located in the UC lobby directly across from the the Mail Center Window (mail drops are also located in most department secretary's offices).
- Campus mail drop wall slot is located at UC lobby directly to the left of the Mail Center Window.
- Meter mail drop wall slot is located beneath campus mail drop wall slot.
Addressing Business Mail
Mail sent to you at Willamette University should be addressed as follows:
900 State Street
Salem, OR 97301-3930
Also, this is the address information that should be on your business cards.
The University address is not to be used by faculty, administrative or classified staff for delivery of personal mail or packages.
Addressing Student Mail
Student mail must have a student name and mailbox number (your Fusser's Guide is a great resource), and must have a return name and department.
To: Barney Bearcat A123
From: Your Name, Department
- The Mail Center sorts incoming and campus mail by name and department — it is important that mail to be routed and/or sorted reflect the appropriate information.
- Mail from the USPS arrives once daily (except Sunday) in the early morning. The Mail Center strives to ensure morning mail is sorted and placed in mailboxes located at the UC lobby no later than 9 a.m. Monday through Friday; noon on Saturday.
- Campus mail is sorted continually throughout the day as it arrives at the Mail Center.
Insufficiently Addressed Mail
Business mail insufficiently addressed travels through a lookup process at the Mail Center. This mail is processed once all properly addressed mail has been handled. Mail that can not be identified will be returned to sender as insufficiently addressed; or at the written request of the department secretary can be routed to the department for determination.
Student mail insufficiently addressed will also travel through the lookup process. This campus mail will be handled as time within the Mail Center allows. If the mail piece can not be identified it will be returned to the appropriate person and/or department if business/department related. General informational stuffers to students will be recycled.
Campus Mail Delivery/Pickup
- Academic Year: between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m.; and between 1 p.m. and 1:45 p.m.
- Summer: 11 a.m.
These delivery times are kept by student runners for mail and small packages only.
Packages are delivered on an as-needed basis. To ensure your packages are processed in a timely manner we ask that you give these issues consideration:
- One person delivers all packages throughout the campus.
- When ordering packages pay attention that the item is addressed properly (name and department).
- When expecting a large shipment notify the Mail Center.
- Packages will be delivered to the department as noted; packages may not receive same day turnaround delivery if it needs to be routed to another destination.
- If you are able to pick up packages, please do so.
Department Mail Charges
- You will be required to sign for stamps that are charged to a department; please have your account number ready for the clerk. There is a minimum of $5 to charge stamps.
- Stamp orders above $64 requires you to have a check processed through the accounting office and that check will be taken to the post office at the end of the day. You will receive your stamps the following day.
- When you are requesting mail to be metered and charged to the department, you must have the department account number. Mail must be rubber banded and identified by the appropriate meter tag.
General Stuffers and Flyers
- All flyers and mailbox stuffer must be "pre-approved" by the Mail Center Director for campus wide distribution.
- Information contained in the approved flyers must not be used for the purpose of solicitation of any type from persons or affiliations not associated with Willamette University.
- A completed mail distribution request form must accompany each item to be distributed.
- The Mail Center encourages you to consider the environment and use "memo reduction" when requesting a flyer distribution.
Standard mail processing is available through the Mail Center. We encourage you to coordinate this with the Standard Mail Coordinator when you begin your process. Work request forms must accompany each job.