International Education

Scholarships & Grants

This page includes advice on sources of funding for study abroad and where to look for scholarships that are specific to study abroad students.

Willamette Financial Aid

  • Students approved for Willamette-sponsored study abroad programs will remain enrolled as a full-time students during their study abroad.  WU financial aid will apply as it would if you were on campus.
  •  Students receiving financial aid at Willamette should consult with a financial aid advisor to determine if they have any additional eligibility that can be used toward their study abroad program.

Willamette University Internal Scholarships

Need-based scholarships:

The Office of Financial Aid administers two study abroad scholarships for students who file a FAFSA and who are determined to have financial need:  

Bernice Jackson Hoffman Scholarship*   
          (Foreign Language Majors only)

Submit applications to:                 Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Deadline for Fall 14/Year 14-15:   Due April 18, 2014
Deadline for Spring 2015:             Due October 24, 2014

You must be:

  • A foreign language major
  • Officially accepted to WU-sponsored study abroad program
  • Studying abroad in the upcoming semester

Richard and Elizabeth Yocom Scholarship*    
         (All majors, except foreign languages)

Submit applications to:                      Office of Financial Aid
Deadline for Fall 2014/Year 14-15:     Due April 18, 2014
Deadline for Spring 2015:                   Due October 24, 2014

You must be:

  • Majoring in any subject, except for foreign languages
  • Officially accepted to WU-sponsored study abroad program
  • Studying abroad in the upcoming semester

*NOTE:  Students should only apply to Hoffman Jackson Scholarship or to Yocom Scholarship, but should NOT apply to both.

The Office of International Education administers the Ainsworth International Scholarship for students approved for WU-sponsored study abroad programs who have financial need.  Please see application for specific eligibility.

Ainsworth International Scholarship
        (Open to all majors)

Submit applications to:  Office of International Education
Deadline for 2014-2015 (SUMMER/FALL/SPRING):   February 28, 2014  for all program sessions in 2014-2015

You must be:

  • Majoring in any subject
  • Officially accepted to WU-sponsored study abroad
  • Studying abroad in the next year (applications accepted only once per year)


Merit-based grants:

Center for Ancient Studies and Archaeology Annual Grant (CASA)

The Center for Ancient Studies and Archaeology at Willamette offers up to two annual grants that are meant to enable Willamette University undergraduate students to participate in a study abroad program focusing on the study of ancient history, languages and civilizations by participating in a suitable study abroad program. 

See CASA website for more information.


Other Willamette University Resources

  • Consult one of the many scholarships and grants resource books in the library (ask a reference librarian to help you).
  • Visit Dr. Monique Bourque in the Student Academic Grants and Awards Office located in Matthews 100.
  • The Office of Financial Aid, located on the third floor of the UC, may also have information about travel grants for use abroad.

Beyond these Willamette resources, consider searching for scholarships and grants through the embassies and consulates of specific countries, services organizations, and on web search engines.

Other Scholarship/Funding Sources

Study Abroad Funding

This is a great search engine for study abroad scholarships. Use the search feature on the left side of the page. (Please note that some of these scholarships are only available to students who participate in the scholarship provider's program.)

Scholarship Portal .eu

A search engine for scholarships for study in Europe.

Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship

Gilman International Scholarship Program, open to all study abroad students who receive federal Pell grants.

Bridging Scholarship

Scholarships for students going to Japan from the Association of Teachers of Japanese.

British Marshall Scholarship   

Scholarships for study in the United Kingdom, open to graduating seniors.  See WU's Student Academics Grants and Awards for nomination information.

Carson Undergraduate Research Grant

Willamette University. Grants are available for research; students often use these for research projects abroad. Check with the office of Student Academic Grants and Awards for information.


Council on International Educational Exchange Travel Grants for Educational Programs in the Third World. For Willamette students, this opportunity is open only to students participating in a CIEE program, and therefore does not cover any Willamette programs. However, it will cover Willamette endorsed programs sponsored by CIEE in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.

Fulbright Grants

Open to graduating seniors and above.  See WU's Student Academics Grants and Awards for nomination information.


Undergraduate and Graduate scholarships for study in Germany. If you are interested in applying for an undergraduate scholarship please contact the Study Abroad Advisor.

Institute for Humane Studies

Scholarships available for overseas study.


Scholarships available through the Japanese government for study in Japan. Information is available on the web page for Kansai Gaidai University.

Rhodes Scholarships

Scholarships for study at Oxford, England, open to graduating seniors.  See WU's Student Academics Grants and Awards for nomination information.

Boren (NSEP) Scholarship

The Boren awards provide funding to U.S. undergraduate and graduate students who are pursuing international and language study in world regions critical to U.S. interests, such as Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. Boren Scholarships for undergraduate students provide up to $20,000 for study abroad, while the Boren Fellowship for graduate students can provide up to $30,000 for language study and international research. In return for funding, recipients commit to working for the federal government for at least one year after the completion of their education.   See WU's Student Academics Grants and Awards for nomination information.

Fund for Education Abroad

The Fund for Education Abroad is a non-profit organization committed to increasing the opportunities for students to participate education abroad programs through three grants and scholarships. Their scholarships can be applied towards semester, year-long or summer programs. They also have a dedicated scholarship for LGBTQ students.