January 31, 2015 to February 28, 2015
9 a.m. to noon (Saturdays)
Collins and Olin Science Centers & Ford Hall
Price: $75 per student
What is Saturday Explorations?
Saturday Explorations is for students in grades 4-8 who are interested in science, math, robotics, computer programming, arts and humanities, or language and culture. Classes are held on five consecutive Saturday mornings for three hours each. We welcome creative, curious and talented 4th through 8th grade students who would like to spend time with similar youth learning about a specific topic. Classes are kept small, usually a maximum of ten students per instructor.
Spring term 2015 course selections are:
- Science Rotation: Discover the excitement of science with different lab-based science experiments each week. Topics in chemistry, biology, physics, geology, neuroscience, environmental science and forensics are explored. All classes include hands-on activities taught by enthusiastic Willamette University undergraduates who love science. When class size exceeds 15, students are grouped by grade.
- Spanish: Cultures and Language: Are you interested in learning about Latin American and Spanish culture? History, holiday traditions, family and school life are explored through song, dance and games in this active, fun class.
- Music Technology: Explore the world of music as a musicologist, a music theorist and a recording engineer in Willamette University's recording studio. Analyze well-known concertos; Use Garage Band and unusual instruments to compose your musical compositions. Undergraduate music majors teach with supervision from university faculty. Music Technology is a great class for music students and also those who love computers.
- Computer Game Programming: NEW CLASS! Create your own video game. Learn computer programming. Share and play classmates' games. The class will use computers loaded with GameMaker and/or Scratch software to design animated, third-person view, video games.
- Beginning Robotics: Design, build and program a robot to race, 'sumo' wrestle, and joust. Use the Lego Mindstorms NXT robots to practice and learn programming.
- Robotics: Build and Design robots using Lego Mindstorms NXT. Engineer robots for specific environmental challenges. Program more complex robotic movements. Design solutions to problems. Build, test and revise your solutions. Prerequisite: Beginning Robotics or experience building the Lego Mindstorms robot and programming the sensors.
All classes are full and have wait lists.
Please contact Christine for more information or to receive notification when future classes open for registration.
Registration deadline is Sunday, January 25, 2015
To register by mail, download and print the registration form and the liability release form, English or Spanish. Read, complete, and mail both the registration and the 2 page liability release form with payment, your check made out to Willamette University, to:
Youth Programs Coordinator
900 State Street
Salem, OR 97301
Questions? Please call 503-370-6513 or email to email@example.com. Scholarships are available when tuition revenue allows. Contact Christine Speak regarding scholarship availability and application procedures.
Like us on facebook