For more than 25 years prior to its closure at the conclusion of the 2-13-14 academic year, the Graduate School of Education was dedicated to excellence in teacher education enhanced by collegial student-faculty relationships. The school's programs were fully accredited by The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The hallmarks of teacher education at Willamette University included: developing an interactive, experiential approach to teaching and learning, emphasizing teachers as collaborative educational leaders, gaining insight into reflective practice and classroom research, understanding multicultural and global education, demonstrating accountability to student learning, and viewing teaching as an inquiry process.
Our program is different
The critical areas of professional preparation that distinguish Willamette Education graduates include:
- pedagogical content knowledge and dispositions
- knowledge of student context
- use of technology to enhance teaching and learning
- supervised practice in a variety of clinical settings, commitment to self-assessment and reflection
- knowledge of and appreciation for the diversity of learners