Master of Arts in Teaching
Middle School Education, High School Education
- I make trusting relationships with students very quickly.
- Each student that comes through my classroom door is seen and taken for who he or she is.
- I value and teach through a variety of intelligences on a daily basis and I always maintain a positive, safe environment for my students.
- I feel that music can touch any life and stir even the smallest motivations in students to achieve whatever they want, inside or outside the music realm.
- I know the voice and its stages of maturity intimately and teach healthful, quality singing for every age group.
- I collaborate well with colleagues and take on challenges gladly as a natural leader.
- Willamette University, BM (cum laude) 2006 (music education)
- University of Arizona, MM (with high honors) 2009 (opera/vocal performance)
- Willamette University, MAT 2012
Teacher Research Topic
For this project I chose to explore student literacy gains through vocabulary that can serve both outside and inside the musical realm. For example, are there terms or words that I can use in choir that could cross content lines and serve my students in their other classes? Words like, penultimate, homogeneous, aural, and composition were some that showed real promise.
Student Teaching (January-June 2012)
- McKay High School, Salem, Oregon, vocal performance instruction (teaching to National Standards objectives), teaching men's, women's and mixed choral ensembles
Practicum Teaching (October-December 2011)
- Crossler Middle School, 6th grade choir
Other Vocal Instruction Experience
- Vocal ensemble coaching: Sprague, McNary and South Salem High School choirs, Salem, Oregon
- Vocal jazz coaching: Sprague and South Salem High Schools, Salem, Oregon; Allegro School of Music, University of Arizona, Tuscon, Arizona
- Voice instructor: private studio, (2007-current) and Allegro School of Music (2009-2010)
- Faculty, graduate voice: University of Arizona, Tuscon (2007-2008)
- Graduate teaching assistant: beginning voice class, University of Arizona (fall semesters 2007 & 2008)
- Opera America
- Opera New Jersey
- In Arizona: Phoenix Metropolitan Opera, Arizona Opera, Southern Arizona Opera, and University of Arizona Opera Theatre
- Portland State Opera Theatre
- Willamette University Opera Theatre
- Festival Chorale Oregon (soloist)
- City of Angels State Fair, The Sound of Music, Kiss Me Kate, Rent, A Chorus Line, Urinetown
Student Teaching Supervisor
- Gretchen Longwell, McKay High School, Salem, Oregon
- Jennifer Kercher, Crossler Middle School, Salem, Oregon
- Bob Jones, Willamette University, firstname.lastname@example.org