Family Gifts for the College of Liberal Arts
Every year, parents and grandparents of current students and alumni provide charitable support to Willamette University. Last year alone over 1,000 families made gifts!
Your gift to the College of Liberal Arts will provide immediate, additional resources for your student’s education.
Among other things, gifts to the College of Liberal Arts support these campus programs:
- The Learning Center – Virtually every student, regardless of major, has contact with the Learning Center. The Center recruits and pays students as tutors, matches tutees with tutors, organizes group study sessions and provides pertinent information on study skills and how to succeed in college.
- The Mark O. Hatfield Library – The library provides books, journals, CDs, online databases and digital collections for faculty and student research. Library staff continually expand and update the collections so students have access to the latest resources they need to pursue their studies.
- Career Services Center – Career Services provides students a wealth of information for their career search, including both personal staff and online resources. Whether a student wants information about resumes, interviewing searching for a career or just exploring what’s possible, the Career Services Center is the best place to begin.
- Bishop Wellness Center – Good health enhances a student’s ability to succeed in college. The Bishop Wellness Center provides a range of services to meet the physical and mental well-being needs of students, many at no additional cost to students.
- Campus Technology – Many students rely heavily on information technology. Willamette Integrated Technology Services provides and services all technology on campus, from maintaining the wireless network to upgrading computer labs. This includes purchasing the latest software packages for many courses that would be prohibitively expensive for students on their own.
Why does the university asks parents for gifts when they are already paying tuition?
Almost every college and university nationwide faces a gap between tuition revenue and operation expenses. At Willamette, tuition and fees provide a little less than 2/3 of the expense to educate a student. If we raised tuition to close the gap, fewer families and students could afford the exceptional education we provide. Charitable gift are one way Willamette supplements the resources of campus programs so that we can offer the very best to all of our students.
Added together, gifts to the College of Liberal Arts have a tremendous influence on our operating budget. In fact, $5,000 in annual gifts equals the income we receive from a gift of $100,000 to the endowment! Your participation at any level does make difference.