Do You Need a Safe-Deposit Box?
Your most valuable documents don't belong stashed haphazardly in a messy desk drawer. A safe-deposit box is a secure place to store items that would cause panic if lost.
Many banks and credit unions rent safe-deposit boxes. The annual cost can range from less than $50 to more than $400, depending on where you live and what size box you need. In addition to the important documents listed below, consider using a safe-deposit box to store personal items that have great sentimental value or would be difficult and costly to replace.
What to Keep in a Safe-Deposit Box
- Insurance policies
- Birth, marriage and death certificates
- Adoption papers and divorce decrees
- Deeds, titles, mortgage papers and lease contracts
- Military records and citizenship papers
- Stock and bond certificates
- A videotape or DVD inventory of your home and all its contents
- Originals of wills, trusts and power of attorney documents
- Medical care directives
- Funeral or burial instructions
|Our FREE guide can help you locate your important documents.|
Once your records are safe, be sure you keep them up to date. If you'd like to include Willamette University in your will or other long-term plans, please contact Steve Brier at (866) 204-8102 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quick Tip: As a precautionary measure, keep a separate list of the items in your safe-deposit box and make a habit of checking the box at least once a yearif only to keep from forgetting where you hid the key.