WISE Frequently Asked Questions
- What web browser should I use?
- Why am I having trouble with WISE on my Mac?
- How do I set up a WISE site for a committee, club, etc.?
- How do I get training in using WISE?
- Why can't anyone see a tab for my site?
- Can I add participants to my site?
- Can I see what my students see?
- Can I get rid of sites on my tab bar?
- How much data can I upload to WISE
- How do I delete a WISE site?
WISE requires one of these browsers:
- Firefox (Windows, Mac, Linux) - free download here
- Chrome (Windows, Mac) - free download here
- Internet Explorer (Windows), version 7 and higher - available through Windows update
- Safari (Windows, Mac) - free download here
Older browsers (Netscape, Internet Explorer 6 or earlier) will not work with WISE.
Safari can cause problems trying to upload files to the Resources and Drop Boxes tools.[back to top]
Safari and WISE have known compatibility issues. If you are using a Mac, WITS recommends using Mozilla Firefox or Chrome.[back to top]
WISE is designed to be used for more than classes. To request a WISE project site for a club, committee or collaborative project, send an email to email@example.com. Include the name you would like to use for your site.[back to top]
WITS offers a number of general introductory and specific tool- and function-related workshops, especially in the weeks leading up to the start of each term. For a list of current workshops, see the WITS Workshop page.
To request individual or department training, email firstname.lastname@example.org[back to top]
There are several reasons for "missing" site tabs:
1. All WISE sites are created in Draft mode and are only visible to people who are site managers (Instructor role in course sites, Maintain role in project sites) until they have been published. Unpublished sites have a warning graphic over the Tools list on the left of the page:
To publish a site:
- select the Site Info tool from the Course Tools list
- select the Manage Access link from the Site Info menu across the top of the page
- check the box next to Publish site
- click Update to save your changes
2. A student has just added your class. WISE course site enrollment is updated every day at 5:00 AM so it may take a day for students' enrollment status to be reflected in WISE rosters.
3. Your site may be in the "more" dropdown box on the course tab bar if a person is a member of many active WISE sites.
[back to top]
You can add both Willamette and non-Willamette participants to course and project sites. To add someone to your site:
- select the Site Info tool from the Course Tools list
- select the Add Participants link from the Site Info menu across the top of the page
- to add a participant with a Willamette network ID, enter their user name (the part before '@willamette.edu' in their email address) in the Official participants text box
- to add a non-Willamette participant, enter their full email address in the Non-official participants text box (this will be their WISE user name).
- click the Continue button
- select a role for the new participant(s) - to add a student to an official course site, use the TempStudent role so that the participant is not dropped by the automatic update process
- for non-Willamette participants, choose the Send notification option; WISE will send them a temporary password and some basic information about how to use WISE
- click the Finish button to confirm your actions
People with the site maintainer role (Instructor, maintain) can enter "Student View" (or "Access View" in project sites) by clicking the Enter Student View link at the right end of the site tabs bar. This will temporarily remove your management permissions. To return to your normal role, click the link, which will now read Exit Student View.
If[back to top]
You can remove old or unwanted tabs from your My Workspace site.
- To begin, select Preferences from the Workspace Tools list on the left side of the page.
- On the Customize Tabs page, you will see two boxes: Sites not visible in tabs and Sites visible in tabs.
- To remove a site from your tab bar, select the site from the "visible" list and click the < button to move it to the 'not visible' list. You can select multiple contiguous sites by clicking on a site, holding down the Shift key and clicking on a second site. You can select multiple non-contiguous sites by holding down the Ctrl key and clicking on multiple sites.
- To move all sites, click the << button.
- This process will not remove you from a site; it will simply remove the site from your navigation. You can always access a site using the Membership tool in My Workspace.
- To change th order of the tabs on your tab bar, select the site name and use the up/down or move-to-top/move-to-bottom buttons on the right of the screen.
- You can change the number of sites displayed in your tab bar by changing the number in the Tabs Displayed box.
- Click the Update Preferences button to save your changes. Refresh the browser window to see the changes.
The disk quota for each WISE site is 1 Gb. You can request additional disk space by emailing email@example.com. Please include the site ID for your site (such as IDS 101 01 12/FA).
The upload limit for individual files (or a group of files created using the "Add additional file" option during the upload process) is 50 Mb. However, you can upload larger files using the "Upload/Download Multiple Resources" method, which requires a file transfer client application (such as Filezilla or Cyberduck) and a protocol called WebDAV. Additional information is available from the WITS Help Desk, your User Services Consultant (faculty and staff) or on the WISE/WebDav help page.[back to top]
Deleting a WISE site is a destructive process and it is unlikely that your data can be recovered if you change your mind. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to have a site deleted.
If you want to clean sites from your tab bar and "more" list:
Use My Workspace>Preferences to hide sites (see Can I get rid of sites on my tab bar? on this page).
You may be able "unjoin" some sites. Go to your My Workspace site and select the Membership tool from the Workspace Tools list on the left side of the page. Any site with a check box to the left of the site name can be unjoined. Check the box(es) for the sites you want to leave and then click the Unjoin button at the bottom of the page.
Ask the site owner to remove you from the site. Enrollment in official course sites is managed automatically and any officially enrolled student will be added back to a site at the next update.[back to top]