Class of 2013 Checklist
Summer 2012: Make sure to make the most of your internship by taking the time to do informationals. Reach out to others for coffee and lunch each day. This is how people get job offers from their internship sponsoring organizations.
What to look forward to Fall of 2012:
We've completely updated the self-paced Career GPS manual and are publishing an updated planner for you with all the content. We recommend that since you'll be starting a new job search this year that you start back at Phase 1 and work your way through.
1) Starting July30th - Schedule your Early Access Appointment - Login to Navigator and schedule an appointment now. We're eager to hear about your internships and help you plan your career search this year. We've extended our appointments to 45 minutes based on feedback from you.
2) Due Friday, August 19th - Mentorship Applications - online at:http://www.willamette.edu/mba/
3) RSVP for the Career Close-up: Fall Recruiting on Friday, September 7th in Portland - This Friday session is specifically geared to get you prepared to apply for jobs that are posted in the fall semester which is typically those with Fortune 500 employers, public accounting, consulting, corporate finance, rotation programs, national career fairs etc. Spring hiring employers will be present as well, a great way to re-plug in. NOTE: This is our BIGGEST fall event!
4) Revisit Phase One of the Career GPS at http://www.willamette.edu/agsm/career_management/students/gps/phase_1/index.html. After a summer of full-time work, its time to re-evaluate your strengths, interests and goals for your permanent position. Check-in with Shelby or Beth after completing Phase 1 and then move on to Phase 2. The second time around it'll be a little quicker, but good to do the research and focus on finding the right job for you.
5) Update your Resume using Optimal Resume at: https://willamette-mba.optimalresume.com/ a new electronic resource with options for cover letters, video resumes and online interview practice.
6)Update Internwatch. Add your summer internship to the Internwatch form if you haven't already, if you have, make sure the summary is updated - http://agsm.willamette.edu/internwatch/. Please do a self-assessment of your internship and invite your supervisor to as well. This information is extremely important in evaluating the core curriculum. We will be hosting a gathering for all internship supervisors this year and we want to make sure your supervisor is included in that and in the evaluation of our core curriculum. We're encouraging all incoming students to do 5 informationals with second year students, so we want your internship on the Star board as well.
7) Update Navigator Profile and upload a resume to the resume books. We're using the profiles to find candidates for jobs, employers have access to the resume books and we want to make sure yours is included.
8) CONSIDER National Career Fairs - especially if you're willing to relocate and want to work for a large company. NSHMBA, NBMBA, NAWMBA, Net-Impact, NAAMBA, and Reaching Out are all this fall and have employers interviewing on-site. There are also regional fairs and conferences in your area of interest which are great places to connect. ***NEW***There are $500 scholarships available for attendees this year to help with expenses. Application is now available and due August 26th: Scholarship Application. List of National Career Fairs 2012
9) CONSIDER Fall Recruiting. - If you're interested in consulting, public accounting, the Federal Government and working for the fortune 500, this is the only way in. These organizations hire X # of MBA's in the fall and stop recruiting when they reach their desired number. As a small school and in this economy, we make introductions and send your resume out. We need to know ASAP if you're interested in fall recruiting so we can make sure you're in the loop.
10) If you received a job offer - Be sure to let us know and complete the MBA Graduate Survey on Navigator. Congrats, about 30% of you do each year.