Globalization is a megaforce that has fundamentally changed how we live, work, and manage organizations and institutions. The popular phrase “The World is Flat” evokes an economic landscape where globalization, information technology, and advances in life sciences are fundamentally increasing the pace and competitive intensity of business and society. The world is inextricably linked in terms of opportunities (e.g., trade, outsourcing, innovation) and risks (e.g., environment, poverty, health)—and how we address these issues will shape our future and your career.
Global management issues are integrated throughout the curriculum. The elective courses listed in the column to the right are recommended for students interested in global management.
Students interested in Global Management should combine their interest in global management with one or more functional areas of interest to ensure both depth of knowledge in global issues and at least one functional area from which the student will learn and grow as a global manager.
Elective courses in each area of interest are offered every year. It is possible that a specific course may not be offered in a given year and that previous courses will be replaced by new courses. Current and recent course schedules are available at http://www.willamette.edu/mba/for_students/full_time/course_schedules/index.html
Recommended Elective Courses
Students may select courses from the list and from other areas of interest to build a customized individual program that meets their specific goals.
- GSM 6218 - Global HR Management
- GSM 6256 - Global Strategic Alliances
- GSM 6258 - International Finance
- GSM 6259 - Accounting in a Global Environment
- GSM 6268 - Leadership
- GSM 6269 - Value Chain Management
- GSM 6278 - Experiential Global HR
- GSM 6290 - Foreign Language Study
- GSM 6299 - Solving Global Challenges: Social Entrepreneurship
- GSM 7240 or 7241 or 7242 or 7243 or 7244 - International MBA Exchange Study at Bordeaux School of Management, Copenhagen Business School or Strasbourg School of Business