Willamette Ties Whitworth in Spokane, 1-1 in Two Overtimes

Yates Scores for Bearcats; Calder Registers 10 Saves

By Robert McKinney, Athletics Communications Director, (503) 370-6110

SPOKANE, WASH. -- Willamette University and Whitworth University fought to a 1-1 tie in two overtimes during a Northwest Conference men's soccer game on Saturday, Nov. 2. The Bearcats, who defeated the Pirates, 3-2 in overtime at Sparks Field in Salem, Ore. on Sept. 22, won the season series with a 1-0-1 record.

Willamette also ended the day at 9-5-3 overall, 5-4-3 in the Northwest Conference. Whitworth moved to 10-3-3 on the season, 8-2-2 in the NWC. The Pirates are ranked #5 in the West Region of NCAA Division III.

Neither team scored in the first half. Whitworth took seven shots and had four corners in the first 45 minutes, while the Bearcats achieved three shots and no corner kicks.

Tyler Yates (So., MF, Kailua-Kona, HI/Kealakehe HS) scored Willamette's goal at 63:35 to break the scoreless tie. Yates intercepted a pass near the Whitworth penalty area and immediately shot the ball into the net past goalkeeper Timmy Costa.

Sam Engle of Whitworth achieved the equalizer on a goal at 80:43. He shot after receiving a short cross in the middle of the box. Sam Selisch assisted Engle on the play.

Whitworth took the final two shots of the second half. A header by Robby Ubben was saved by Willamette goalie Braydon Calder (So., Philomath, OR/Philomath HS) at 86:10 and a shot by Engle went high at 87:33.

Despite a significant advantage in shots for Whitworth in regulation play -- the Pirates held a 15-5 edge in shots and a 6-2 margin in shots on goal -- the Bearcats solid play on defense forced the game into overtime.

The Pirates continued to attack in overtime and outshot Willamette 8-2 in the extra periods. Calder, who registered five saves in the first 90 minutes, made five more in overtime.

Calder recorded three stops in the first overtime -- on David Starkovich at 92:15, on a header by Engle at 92:15 after a corner kick, and by Rylan Berriman with one second on the clock. In the second overtime, he added two saves, as he thwarted Andrew French at 108:49 and kept a shot by Ubben out of the net with two seconds to go.

Whitworth finished with a 23-7 shooting advantage. The Pirates earned an 11-2 edge in shots on goal and received an 11-1 margin in corner kicks. WU's only corner of the game occurred at 92:15 during the first overtime.

Calder played all 110 minutes for Willamette in goal and moved to 8-4-3 on the season. His 10 saves established a career-high, surpassing the nine saves he registered against Trinity University (Texas) on Sept. 3, 2012. Bearcat defenders Sam Gonzalez (So., D, Junction City, OR/Junction City HS) and Sebastian Mortimer (So., D, Moscow, ID/Moscow HS) also played 110 minutes.

Costa was in goal the entire game for Whitworth and provided the Pirates with one save. Costa's record moved to 5-1-2.

Willamette will play at Whitman College in Walla Walla, Wash., on Sunday, Nov. 3. Kickoff is set for 1:30 p.m. (PST).


Willamette University 1
Whitworth University 1 (2 OT

Tyler Yates scored the game's first goal after intercepting a pass near the top of the Whitworth penalty area.

Tyler Yates scored the game's first goal after intercepting a pass near the top of the Whitworth penalty area.