Internship OpportunitiesThese scholarships and programs have been available in past years and are likely to recur annually; contact individual program sponsors for additional details and potential updates.
- Oregon Governor's Office
- Oregon Secretary of State's Office -Audit Division
- Oregon Department of Education
- 1000 Friends of Oregon, Portland, Oregon A twenty-six year old public interest organization founded by former Governor Tom McCall and dedicated to implementation of Oregon's comprehensive planning program. A three month paid internship available to most undergraduate and graduate students at the Portland office. (Planning majors preferred, law students excluded.) Visit the 1000 Friends website for further details, application guidelines, and requirements.
- Oregon Center for Public Policy, Silverton, Oregon A private, nonprofit organization using research and analysis to advance policies and practices that improve the economic and social prospects of low and moderate income Oregonians. Summer research assistant positions (full time, paid) available to undergraduate and graduate students. Part-time, unpaid positions available throughout the year. Visit the OCCP website for a full list of application materials, deadlines, and more information about the positions. For questions and inquiries, please contact Jacque Greenleaf at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Corporation for National and Community Service Provides coordination, supervision, and support for national service organizations and their activities. Visit the Corporation's website for individual project and application details.
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities Offers full and part-time paid internships for undergraduate, recent graduate, and graduate students in various fields of public and fiscal policy. Visit the CBPP website for more information and ongoing opportunities.
- Center for Economic and Policy Research Accepts undergraduate and graduate interns for full-time, semester-long positions. Previous research experience is helpful and applicants should have a general understanding of issues in international relations, economics, and democracy. Visit the CEPR website for more information and application details.
- American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research Dedicated to preserving and strengthening the foundations of freedom—limited government, private enterprise, vital cultural and political institutions and a strong foreign policy and national defense—through scholarly research, open debate, and publications. Approximately forty topic-specific internships available throughout the year, full and part-time with complimentary meals. For more information and details on the application process visit the website or contact Director of Human Resources, American Enterprise Institute, 1150 17th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036 (via email at email@example.com).
- APAICS Internship Program The Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies (APAICS) offers one of the most prestigious pan-Asian American summer internship programs in Washington, DC. They also offer several year-round internships for undergraduate and graduate students interested in issues affecting the Asian American and Pacific Islander communities.
- The Cato Institute A public policy research organization whose publications and conferences since 1977 have presented market-liberal solutions for the full range of policy issues. Internships available throughout the year for undergraduate, recent graduate, and graduate students who have a strong commitment to individual liberty, private property, free markets, limited government, and the philosophy of classical liberalism. Stipends for full-time positions. Information on the program is available online. For additional information, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Center for Defense Information Founded in 1972 by recently retired, senior US military officers and credited with having produced in the first detailed analysis of so-called black programs at the Pentagon - projects so secret that their budgets are hidden from public scrutiny. Full-time, paid positions available for graduates and highly qualified undergraduates in various topic areas of military and defense policy. Additional information and application requirements are available online.
- Center for International Policy A nonprofit educational and research organization promoting a US foreign policy based on international cooperation, demilitarization, and respect for basic human rights. Full-time, ten week positions available. Deadlines vary. Visit the website for more detailed information.
- Center for Security Policy A nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to educating the Washington community on a wide variety of security, defense, and international economic issues. Unpaid positions available for undergraduates, recent graduates, and graduate students; 15-20 hour weekly minimum commitment. Visit the website for more information.
- Center for Strategic and International Studies An independent, tax-exempt, public policy research institution. Full and part-time positions available throughout the year for undergraduates and recent graduates. Visit the website for more information on qualifications and application deadlines.
- Cooperative Ecosystem Studies Unit (CESU) Beginning in January 2003, the Cooperative Ecosystem Studies Unit (CESU) Network is offering a graduate student internship opportunity in Washington, DC Paid, one semester position available for spring, summer, and fall semesters. Interested graduate students should submit a letter of interest, an up-to-date resume, and a letter of recommendation from their major professor. The application packets should be express-shipped (e.g. Express Mail, FedEx) to: Jean McKendry, Deputy National Coordinator CESU Network, Main Interior Building, 1849 C Street NW (3127), Washington, DC 20240, phone: 202/219.8894.
- Economic Policy Institute A nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank whose mission is to provide high quality research and education in order to promote a prosperous, fair, and sustainable economy. Visit the website for potential opportunities.
- Ethics and Public Policy Center Established in 1976 to clarify and reinforce the bond between the Judeo-Christian moral tradition and the public debate over domestic and foreign policy issues. Its program includes research, writing, publication, and conferences. Positions offered throughout the year. Visit the website for details, deadlines, and qualifications.
- The Heritage Foundation A research and educational institute whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principle of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional values, and a strong national defense. Year-round positions in topic-specific areas available for undergraduates, recent graduates, and graduate students. Positions, deadlines, and qualifications vary. Visit the website for the most recent details. For additional information, please contact Ann Bula, Internship Coordinator by phone at (202-608-6032) or email at email@example.com.
- Institute for Policy Studies The oldest and largest multi-issue think tank promoting progressive thought. IPS offers internships in a wide range of foreign and domestic policy areas. Visit the website for an overview of each project, contact information, and application details.
- Inter-American Dialogue A forum for sustained exchange among leaders of the Western Hemisphere and an independent, nonpartisan center for policy analysis on economic and political relations in the Americas. Full and part-time volunteer positions available throughout the year for undergraduate and graduate students with social science emphasis. Summer positions full time; other positions minimum 16-20 hour weekly commitment (8 weeks). Visit the website for more details.
- National Council for Science and the Environment Works to improve the scientific basis for environmental decision making. Various full-time positions available with small stipends. Visit the website for details on the most recent program offerings. Email submissions are preferred. Please send cover letter (including dates of availability and what interests you most about the internship), resume, writing sample and contact information for two references to Therese Cluck (firstname.lastname@example.org), 1707 H Street NW Suite 200, Washington, DC 20006.
- The Urban Institute Full and part-time temporary research assistants hired throughout the year. Undergraduate and graduate level opportunities, interns hired as needed. Visit the website for details and contact information.
- Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars An international center for advanced study that provides a unique forum for bringing together the world of ideas and the world of public affairs. Mostly unpaid internships available for each academic term. Senior-level undergraduates preferred but other qualified candidates considered. Visit thewebsite for more details. Please direct questions and materials to Dr. Bahman Amini, Internships Coordinator via phone at (202) 691-4053) or email at email@example.com.
- The Bighorn Center for Public Policy, Denver, CO A nonprofit, nonpartisan organization formed to sustain and improve the quality of life in Colorado through effective and efficient state and local government. Semester-long internships available throughout the year, graduate students preferred.. Compensation commensurate with background and experience. For more information visit the website or contact: The Bighorn Center for Public Policy, Brenda Morrison (Brenda@bighorncenter.org), 1700 Lincoln Street, Suite 1800, Denver, Colorado 80203-4320.
- The Carter Center Offers unique and diverse opportunities for undergraduate juniors and seniors, recent graduates and graduate/professional students who are interested in contemporary, international, and domestic issues. Internships offered throughout the year and require a minimum of 20 hour per week commitment for at least 15 weeks. Application deadlines vary. Additional information and application requirements available online.
- International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) An international institution, supported by the US and fifteen other governments, which engages in scientific research aimed at providing policy insight on issues related to global change. Offers a Young Scientists' Summer Program (YSSP) to mostly pre-doctoral candidates. Dates and qualifications vary. Visit the website for more details.
- Annual NYU/Wagner Summer Institute on Policy Analysis in Europe Limited partial scholarship funds are available. Tuition is reduced for noncredit participation. The institute features a comparative overview of public policies and the role of policy analysis in European nations, the European Union, and the United States. Case studies of selected policy areas include, on the national level, health care, public safety, immigration, urbanization, and welfare/homelessness and, in the broader European Union, institutional design, economic integration, social development, expansion, and agriculture.
- Public Policy & International Affairs Junior Summer Institute at Princeton University Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs has hosted summer institutes for over 20 years. There mission is to increase leadership opportunities for future global policy leaders in both the public and nonprofit sectors. Participants will be provided with the tools of critical thinking, speaking, writing, and quantitative reasoning and with the skills and exeriences necessary to create, analyze, implement, evaluate, and affect policy in a mulitcultural, multiethnic society. Visit website for more details.
- Public Policy Institute of California, San Francisco, California A policy research organization established in 1994 to provide independent, nonpartisan information and analyses to assist in the formulation of public policy in and for California. Full-time summer internship program offered annually. Visit website for more details.
- Institute for Humane Studies Various internship and fellowship programs offered regularly. Visit the website for specific details of each available program.