Indicators of Achievement
The Biology Department has identified the following learning outcomes that students should attain following completion of the Bachelor of Arts degree:
Student Learning Outcomes for the Biology Major
- Understanding of the basic concepts and principles relevant to the levels of biological organization from molecules to ecosystems, and the forces of evolution that shape them.
- Advanced knowledge in a specialized area of biology through study and hands-on laboratory/field-based research.
- Knowledge of the chemical, physical, mathematical, and statistical concepts underpinning many biological concepts.
- Investigative research skills to comprehend natural phenomena and solve contemporary biology-related problems.
- Communication skills to effectively explain scientific data and ideas orally and in writing to specialists and the general public.
- Experience in and understanding the value of collaborative research in the sciences.
- Knowledge and appreciation of the diverse social, ethical and historical impacts of biology.