- 2009 Ph.D. Kinesiology (Exercise Physiology), Department of Kinesiology, School of Public Health, University of Maryland
- 2003 M.A. Kinesiology (Exercise Physiology), Department of Kinesiology, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Maryland, College Park
- 2001 B.S. Springfield College - Sports Biology
Professor Lockard is the instructor of record for the Physiology of Exercise (EXSCI 360), Human Physiology (BIOL 260), and Disease Prevention (IDS 224) courses and associated laboratories. He also teaches the Research Design (EXSCI 356W) course and contributes to the Senior Seminar (EXSCI 496).
Professor Lockard advises current and transfer students within Exercise and Health Science, and serves as the faculty advisor for both the Exercise and Health Science Executive Board and the Exercise and Health Science Club.
- Recipient - Mortar Board Award for Professor of the Year, Willamette University (2013)
Publications (*student collaborator)
- Moore, G. & Lockard M.M. (2009). Bleeding and Clotting Disorders. In: Exercise Management for Persons with Chronic Diseases and Disabilities, 3rd edition. American College of Sports Medicine, Human Kinetics.
Refereed Research Papers (*student collaborators)
- *Brown AB, *Kueffner TE, *OʼMahony EC, Lockard MM (2015) Validity of arm-leg elliptical ergometer for VO2max analysis. J Strength Cond Red. 29(6). 1551-5
- *Clark LA, *O’Leary CB, Hong J, Lockard MM. (2015) The acute effects of stretching on presynaptic inhibition and peak power. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 54. 605-10
- *Soma, E., Lockard, M.M. & Stavrianeas, S. (2010). Challenging the accuracy of a single-test lactate threshold protocol in collegiate rowers. International Journal of Exercise Science 3(4). 206-213.
- Lockard, M.M., Witkowski, S., Spangenburg, E.E., Jenkins, N.T., Obisesan, T.O. & Hagberg, J.M. (2010). Thrombin and exercise similarly influence expression of cell cycle genes in cultured putative endothelial progenitor cells, Journal of Applied Physiology. 108. 1682-90.
- Witkowski, S., Lockard, M.M., Jenkins, N.T., Obisesan, T.O., Spangenburg, E.E. & Hagberg, J.M. (2010). Relation of circulating progenitor cells to vascular function and oxidative stress with long term training and short term detraining in older men. Clinical Science (Lond).118; 303-311.
- Lockard, M.M., Gopinathannair, M., Paton, C.M., Phares, D.A. & Hagberg, J.M. (2007). Exercise training-induced changes in coagulation factors in older adults. Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise39(4):587-92.
Recent Presentations (*student collaborator)
- *Wise ZB, *Neuhauser M, *Turner JJ, *McGrew, M, Lockard, MM. The effects of caffeine on repeated cycle ergometer sprint bouts. American College of Sports Medicine – Northwest regional meeting, Salem, OR. Poster. 2013
- *Reeder JR, *Kazubinski K, *Foreman A, *Crauthers M, Lockard MM. Effect of creatine supplementation on time to fatigue in the anaerobic Wingate test. American College of Sports Medicine – Northwest regional meeting, Salem, OR. Poster. 2013
- *Davey KDA, *Pastorino CJ, *Kass EL, *Carroll CW, Lockard MM. Active Recovery During HIIT Induces Higher HR but Lower Perceived Exertion Than Passive Recovery. American College of Sports Medicine – Northwest regional meeting, Salem, OR. Poster. 2013
- Lockard MM, *Kessler NJ, Hong JJ, *Siebuhr RA. (2012) von Willebrand Factor and Blood Flow Response to Whole Body Vibration in Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. Poster presentation at the ACSM National Meeting.
- *Kessler NJ, Lockard MM, Hong JJ. (2012) Effects of Whole Body Vibration on Pain, Nerve Conduction and Hemodynamics in Individuals with Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. Poster presentation at the ACSM National Meeting. Poster.
- *Clark LN, *O’Leary CB, Hong JJ, Lockard MM. (2012) Effects of Static and Dynamic Stretching on Presynaptic Inhibition. Poster presentation at the ACSM NW Regional Meeting.
- *Soma, E., *Schultz, L., Lockard, M. & Stavrianeas, S. (2009). Effectiveness of single lactate test in determining lactate threshold in collegiate rowers. Poster presentation at the Northwest American College of Sports Medicine regional meeting.
- *Rice, D., *Nakata, K. & Lockard, M. (2009). Influence of exercise training on blood hemostasis. Poster presentation at the Northwest American College of Sports Medicine regional meeting.
- Lockard, M.M., Brandauer, J., Weiss, E.P., Gopinathannair, R., Kulaputana, O. & Hagberg, J.M. (2007). The association of impaired glucose tolerance and insulin resistance with hemostatic imbalance Poster presentation for the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology Annual Meeting.
- Gopinathannair, R., Lockard, M.M., Paton Park, J.Y., Phares, D.A. & Hagberg, J.M. (2005). Plasma lipoprotein lipids do not regulate exercise training-induced changes in coagulation factor VIII antigen and prothrombin fragment 1+2 levels in sedentary, dyslipidemic individuals. Slide presentation for the American College of Cardiology Annual Scientific Session.
- Lockard, M.M., Paton, C.M., Prior, S.J., Phares, D.A., & Hagberg, J.M. (2004). G protein Beta-3 C825T polymorphism and body composition, fasting insulin and glucose with 6 months of aerobic exercise training Poster presentation for the APS Experimental Biology meeting. FASEB Journal.
- Lockard, M.M., Phares, D.A., Halverstadt, A.A., Ferrell, R.E., Goldberg, A.P. & Hagberg, J.M. (2003). Common genetic polymorphisms and cholesterol response to exercise training. Poster presentation for the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., 35 (5supp.).