Take a Break
Take a Break (TaB) is a student-led alternative break program that places small groups of Willamette University students, staff, and faculty in communities across America to engage in community service and experiential learning. Established in 2001-2002, students from a myriad of backgrounds, majors and class years work in conjunction with Willamette staff and faculty advisors and volunteer and community agencies to focus on a wide variety of social issues such as literacy, poverty, racism, hunger, homelessness, HIV/AIDS and the environment.
Our motto is CJS2: Community. Justice. Service. Simplicity.
Our objectives of TaB: To involve Willamette University students, staff, and faculty in community-based service projects and to give students opportunities to learn about the problems faced by members of communities with whom they otherwise may have had little or no direct contact. Being completely immersed into diverse environments enables participants to experience, discuss, and understand social issues in a significant way. Participants have the opportunity to work and have fun with other Willamette students, to increase self-knowledge and to broaden their perspective of the world around them.
Developing community stewardship in the leaders of tomorrow through:
- promoting critical thinking
- personal growth
- social action
- lifelong community involvement
so that participants might:
- understand interlinking issues such homelessness, poverty, crime, hunger, violence, environmental destruction, marginalization of social groups
- take thoughtful, meaningful action towards the resolution of these issues
- gain experience in community-based problem solving
- begin or continue a commitment to community service and social change
- build a new friendships and alliances
Advise a TaB Trip!
Interested in Advising a Take a Break trip?
TaB is looking for Willamette staff and faculty interested in advising TaB trips in Spring 2015.
Contact Program Director, Malorie Hill for more information!
For more information on the Take a Break program, please contact: