Requesting a Waiver for WU Student Health Insurance
If you BRING HEALTH INSURANCE coverage with you, you may be able to waive out of the university's student health insurance. Proof of comparable insurance is defined by the Waiver Criteria. A completed waiver request and proof must be presented to the Office of International Education at the beginning of the academic year in the form of a Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Request.No one is automatically given a waiver nor is a waiver guaranteed. Each student who wants to request a waiver must fully complete the Waiver Request form and provide supporting documents.
Approval of your waiver request is done by the Office of International Education. If you are approved for an insurance waiver, the charges for the WU Student Health Insurance Plan will be deducted from your student account. If you are not approved or do not apply for a waiver, you will be automatically enrolled in the Willamette University Student Health Insurance Plan with Aetna. Late waiver requests will not be considered. If you aren't sure if your health insurance meets the criteria, submit your request AT LEAST one week prior to the deadline.
Fall Waiver Deadline: Friday, September 6, 2013
Spring Waiver Deadline: Friday, January 31, 2014 (for students enrolled for spring only)
Waiver Criteria, to be considered for a waiver:
- COMPLETED Health Insurance Waiver Request form,
- a photocopy of your health insurance policy information that shows all the coverage and excluded items, in ENGLISH- look for a Summary of Benefits, Benefits Description, etc. anything that specifically mentions each item below,
- a photocopy of your insurance identification card and anything that shows dates of coverage,
- (optional but helpful) many companies will also provide a letter of coverage that lists the required items if you ask ahead of time. Include it with the others items if you receive one.
In addition to providing proof of coverage, provide proof of the following:
- Coverage for inpatient and outpatient care within 50 miles of Willamette University (more than just emergency services)
- Maximum medical coverage amount of at least $500,000 per year
- Coverage for inpatient and outpatient mental health services
- Annual deductible of $3,000 or less per person
- FOR “J” visa students/scholars: Deductible of $500 or less per (for each) accident or illness
- FOR “J” visa students/scholars: Medical benefits of at least $50,000 for each accident or illness
- Medical Evacuation to your home country of at least $10,000
- Repatriation of Remains (in the case of death) coverage of at least $7,500
Download the Form
For Additional Information
If you questions regarding the waiver, please contact Ramona in the Office of International Education at: email@example.com.
For any questions regarding what the Aetna Student Health insurance plan covers or how to use it, contact Bishop Wellness Center.