Requesting a Waiver for WU Student Health Insurance
If you BRING HEALTH INSURANCE coverage with you, you may be able to waive out of the university's student health insurance. Proof of comparable insurance is defined by the Waiver Criteria. A completed waiver request and proof must be presented to the Office of International Education at the beginning of the academic year in the form of a Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Request- available at the right hand side of this page. No one is automatically given a waiver nor is a waiver guaranteed. Each student who wants to request a waiver must fully complete the Waiver Request form and provide supporting documents.
The effective date of insurance is 8/1/2014. If you use the Aetna Student Health Insurance plan before the waiver request deadline, you are no longer eligible for a waiver. After the waiver request deadline, you are no longer eligible for a waiver.
Approval of your waiver request is done by the Office of International Education. If you are approved for an insurance waiver, the charges for the WU Student Health Insurance Plan will be deducted from your student account. If you are not approved or do not apply for a waiver, you will be automatically enrolled in the Willamette University Student Health Insurance Plan with Aetna. Late waiver requests will not be considered. If you aren't sure if your health insurance meets the criteria, submit your request AT LEAST one week prior to the deadline.
Fall Waiver Deadline: Friday, September 5, 2014
Spring Waiver Deadline: Friday, January 30, 2015 (for students enrolled for spring only)
Waiver Criteria, to be considered for a waiver:
- COMPLETED Health Insurance Waiver Request form
- Photocopy of your health insurance policy information that shows all the coverage and excluded items, in English. Look for a Summary of Benefits, Benefits Description, etc. anything that specifically mentions each item below.
- Photocopy of your insurance identification card (front and back) or letter of coverage or any combination of documents in English from the insurance company. Documentation must show:
● dates of coverage (beginning & end dates)
● your name as the enrollee (if you have dependents, their names too)
● your policy /insurance ID number
● insurance company
In addition to providing proof of coverage, provide proof of the following:
PROOF of comparable health insurance coverage-
• Coverage for inpatient and outpatient care within 50 miles of Willamette University
( including labs, x-rays, and prescription drugs)
• NO maximum medical coverage amount for covered services – Unlimited Coverage
• Coverage for inpatient and outpatient mental health services
• Maximum out-of-pocket limit of $2,000 per person (for covered charges)
• Annual deductible of $500 or less per person
• Maximum coinsurance amount of $25%
• Medical Evacuation to your home country of at least $50,000
• Repatriation of Remains (in the case of death) coverage of at least $25,000
Download the Form
For Additional Information
If you questions regarding the waiver, please contact Ramona in the Office of International Education at: email@example.com.
For any questions regarding what the Aetna Student Health insurance plan covers or how to use it, contact Bishop Wellness Center.