Tips & Resources
The resources are intended to get started looking in the right places for various kinds of travel related information - this is by no means an exhaustive list of resources. The Office of International Education does not endorse any resources below that may sell a service or product.
Remember to always look for student discounts on tickets, hotels and entrance fees. The International Student Identity Card can be useful, especially in Europe.
- Department of State Students Abroad webpage, includes links to information about travel documents, health, emergencies, voting, etc.
- List of all the embassies located in Washington DC
- U.S. embassies and consulates worldwide
- The Center for Disease Control health advisories
- U.S. Department of State passport services, including downloadable passport forms. you can also get forms at major post offices, at the courthouse, and sometimes in our office.
- U.S. Department of State Safe Traveler Enrollment Program - online registration program that will help the department of state contact you in case of an emergency at home or abroad.
- U.S. Department of State travel warnings
- U.S. Department of State report on arrests abroad, a description of the assistance provided by the US if a citizen is arrested abroad
Students with Disabilities
- Mobility International USA - "Empowering people with disabilities around the world to achieve their human rights through international exchange and international development."
- MIUSA Exchange programs
- National Clearinghouse on Disability and Exchange: Step by Step Guide to the International Exchange Process
- TSA Cares is a helpline number designed to assist travelers with disabilities and medical
conditions, prior to getting to the airport. Travelers may call TSA Cares toll free at 1-855-787 2227 prior to traveling with questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint.
- Department of State Students Abroad students with disabilities webpage
- Students with Disabilities are encouraged to contact an OIE Advisor to discuss any concerns, thoughts, questions or ideas about spending time abroad.
- STA Travel - online student travel agency
- Travel Cuts - online student travel agency
- SkyAuction - great airfares are up for bid!
- Student Universe - online student travel
- Currency Converter - foreign exchange rates
- The World Clock - time zone converter
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- Worldwide MasterCard ATM Locator
- Worldwide Visa ATM Locator
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Travelers - Rainbow SIG, NAFSA's Association of International Educators, Lesbigay Special Interest Group's site dedicated to lesbians, bisexuals, and gay students traveling abroad.
- Monetos - a European Information Portal (EU countries only) - money, health, medical and other information about living in the EU.
- iFly.com - Airport Guides and Up to Date Information.
Safety & Health
- The U.S. Department of State Travel Page - information on everything from wiring money to crisis preparedness
- Center for Disease Control - required and recommended immunizations and health tips by region
- Center for Disease Control Environmental Health - how to deal with environmental health hazards from air pollution to earthquakes
- Sexual Harassment and Prevention in College Students Studying Abroad - SAFETI On-line Newsletter article by Nancy Newport, Licensed Professional Counselor and Consultant to the Peace Corps
- World Health Organization Travel and Health website
- International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association - country specific information related to sexual identity
- International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission
- Travel guides can be found at the Willamette Bookstore, ask about how to get 25% off.
- Lonely Planet - all continents
- Fodor's - all continents
- Let's Go - Europe, Central America, United States and Southeast Asia
- Rick Steves - Europe only
- Hostelz.com and Internet Guide to Hostelling - worldwide hostel guides
- Rough Guides - all continents