Ecuador Summer Language Program 2015
TENTATIVE Dates for 2014: June 1 - July 10, 2015.
Offered every summer. You must complete at least ONE YEAR (SPAN 131, 132) of college level Spanish prior to the start of this program.
The intensive Spanish study program in Ecuador is located in the capital city of Quito, high in the equatorial Andes. Students live with host families (including full meals and laundry) and participate in excursions throughout Ecuador (Otavalo, the beach, the jungle). Students take intensive language courses at ACLAS- Andean Center for Latin American Studies.
Completed applications must be received at the Office of International Education by 4 p.m. on December 4th, 2013. Students must use the common study abroad application to apply. Completed application includes the following materials: common application, study abroad statement, transcript request form, faculty recommendation, personal recommendation, advisor form, and language assessment form.
WU Credit: Earn 2.0 WU Spanish language credits at the 200 (SPAN 231, 232) or 300 (SPAN 390, 391) level. You must complete at least ONE YEAR (SPAN 131, 132) of college level Spanish prior to the start of this program.
- Instructor: TBA, Spanish Department
- Program Cost: Based on a minimum of 15 participants, approximately $5,050 (includes tuition, full room and board, excursions, onsite support, medical insurance and more). Airfare to and from Ecuador IS NOT included in the program cost. Transportation to and from the airport IS included provided all the group arrives on the same date and time (you will be told after acceptance into the program). If a student arrives on a different date/time, we will bill him/her $75 for transportation. Textbooks are also NOT included in the program cost. Students will be directed about textbooks to buy after selection in the program.
- Special notes: Students selected MUST be able to travel to Quito on Saturday, May 30, 2015 (no earlier, no later). Students selected will be given specific instructions on when to arrive (time of day), so please do not book tickets until AFTER the first orientation in spring 2015.
- POSSIBLE SCHOLARSHIP (external to WU and the OIE): Students interested in this program should consider applying for Gilman summer scholarships. Students who are receiving Federal Pell Grants and are studying abroad for at least 4 weeks in one country are eligible to apply for Benjamin A. Gilman scholarships. Those interested should consult the Gilman website for more information, http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program/Deadlines-and-Timeline#Summer and http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program/Application-Process. If these links are not working, start from the main Gilman page, http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program. Application forms and deadlines are posted on the Gilman website.
- See http://www.willamette.edu/dept/oie/abroad/events/index.html for study abroad information session schedule
- Contact Julie Veltman at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (WU Office of International Education) with questions or for more information