About Our Location
Willamette University is located in Salem, Oregon (population 135,000). Salem is Oregon's capital city and a hub of the I-5 business/technology/government corridor. Salem is one the fastest growing areas in the Northwest and has been twice honored as an All American City. Salem offers a lifestyle that is friendly, uncomplicated and inexpensive compared to the larger cities of the West.
The downtown area is a short walk from the Graduate School of Education, offering major department stores linked with sky-bridges, traditional and ethnic restaurants, coffee houses and movie theaters. Salem is home to many historic sites, 96 city parks, indoor and outdoor concerts featuring international performers, art and wine festivals, bike paths, running trails and the Oregon State Fair. Life in Salem is pleasant and only as fast-paced as you want it to be. This manageable pace and relaxed atmosphere enable you to focus your energies on success in your graduate program.
Graduate School of Education students find pleasure in the region's beautiful natural environment and close opportunities for big-city excitement. An extraordinary variety of activities are within a short drive of Salem. Students can ski the Cascade Mountains, enjoy the beaches of the Pacific Ocean, hike and mountain bike the Willamette National Forest, windsurf and hike the Columbia River Gorge - or explore the urban and cultural offerings of the Portland metropolitan area - all within an hour or two of the School.
A note about the weather: Don't believe what you hear - one way or the other. It doesn't rain all the time. The summers are mainly warm and sunny; the fall is usually clear and beautiful; the spring is a little bit of everything. In the winter it's fine library weather. If you don't own an umbrella, you will. There will, of course, be many winter days when it doesn't rain. Some of them will even be clear. Two or three days a year it will snow a little.
Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
- Oregon's Essential Links - links and information about cities, events, and travel
- Oregon Highways - information about Oregon and links to other areas of the Pacific Northwest
- Oregon Live - news, information and links
- Photographs of Oregon - Oregon scenic photography
- Travel Oregon Online - regional activities and tourist information
- Welcome to Oregon - A collection of Oregon links and information
- City of Salem - the City of Salem's web site
- Salem Chamber Of Commerce - quick answers to frequent questions about Salem
- Salem Essential Links - links and information about cities, events, and travel
- Salem Convention & Visitors Association Guide - a great guide to Salem
- Salem Online - guide to the city of Salem
- Salem Oregon Lodging Guide - information about lodging facilities in and around Salem
- Salem Visitor Center - information regarding the greater Salem area
- Statesman Journal Online - the website of the Salem Statesman Journal