Master of Arts in Teaching
- I have had the opportunity to gain a wide variety of experience in education prior to beginning Willamette's MAT program. I worked at a Title 1 school for five years as an assistant in special education. While there, I also led a program that monitored student athlete's grades throughout the seasons and offered a wide variety of incentive programs. I have also had the opportunity to coach volleyball as both an assistant and head coach. This has given me leadership skills that are also effective in the classroom setting.
- I am an extremely organized person. This allows me to manage my time effectively. I have also noticed that it is a skill that my students often need to work on. By demonstrating my organizational skills, it helps guide them in finding a system that works for them. It also allows me to be consistent in my curriculum, teaching strategies and behavior management within the classroom.
- My natural ability to form appropriate relationships with students definitely is a strength to my overall teaching. This allows me to discuss student matters in a natural way. This also helps my students stay engaged in our daily lessons. By knowing my students, it has helped me relate to them and find motivators that will help them succeed in and out of the classroom environment.
- While doing my student teaching and being observed throughout my coaching career, I have been told multiple times that one of my strongest traits as an educator/mentor is my classroom/ behavior management skills. I try hard to monitor what students are doing around the classroom consistently and if there is negative behavior, correct it in a firm, but not condescending manner. Students know my expectations and reminded regularly of the repercussions of actions outside of those expectations.
- Western Oregon University, Bachelor of Science in Community Health Education (Minor in Human Biology)
- Willamette University, Masters of Arts in Teaching (Specialty Endorsement: Special Education (K - 12))
- Sprague High School, Salem, OR, 9 - 12th, Health
- Waldo Middle School, Salem, OR, 6th Grade, General Science
Other Youth/Classroom Experience
- SPED Practicum, Sprague High School , Salem, OR, Student Teacher
- SPED Practicum, Swegle Elementary School, Salem, OR, Student Teacher
- Classroom Instruction Assistant, McKay High School, Salem, OR, SPED- Learning Resource Center
- Head Coach, Woodburn High School, Salem, OR, Volleyball
Student Teaching Supervisor
- Amy West, Sprague High School, Salem, OR
- Jeff Bovee, Waldo Middle School, Salem, OR
- Jan Smith, Swegle, Salem, OR
- Rebecca Howe, Sprague, Salem, OR