Loan Programs

Students must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be a candidate for loans or work-study monies. January 1 is the first day the FAFSA form can be submitted. March 1 is the latest filing date recommended by the College of Law.

The FAFSA is available online. A paper version is available from Willamette's Office of Financial Aid. Send an e-mail to or call 503-370-6273 or 877-744-3736 (toll free) for a paper version of FAFSA. Inquiries regarding the status of loan processing or work-study awards should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid.

Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP)

Willamette University College of Law is committed to supporting graduates who pursue public interest law. Our Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP) was designed to aid law graduates who wish to pursue public interest work by reducing their student loan debt. Willamette’s LRAP is open to all College of Law graduates working in public interest law. Loan applicants’ incomes and loan debt burdens are the primary considerations for determining eligibility and the amount of annual assistance to be received.

In addition, all low-income graduates pursuing public interest law are strongly encouraged to review the Oregon State Bar Loan Repayment Assistance Program.

Graduates interested in either program should contact the College of Law’s Career Center at 503-370-6057 for more information.

The Federal Stafford Loan Programs

Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are available at a combined maximum of $20,500 annually. A FAFSA and a Federal Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) are required. You will receive the MPN after you accept the loan(s) on your award response.

Graduate PLUS/Private Educational Loans

There are a number of sources for these credit-based educational loans. Some will require a cosigner. Graduate PLUS/ Private Educational Loans are more expensive (interest rates, fees, etc.) than Federal Stafford Loans and should be utilized only as a last resort.

Other Private Loan Programs

Several private loan programs are also available to law students. These are credit-based private loans and, in some circumstances, may require a co-signer. Contact the Willamette University Office of Financial Aid for more information at, 503-370-6273 or 877-744-3736 (toll free).