Financial Aid

There are several options for additional financial aid at Willamette Law.

Student Loans

Students must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be a candidate for loans or work-study monies. January 1 is the first day the FAFSA form can be submitted. March 1 is the latest filing date recommended by the College of Law.

The FAFSA is available online. A paper version is available from Willamette's Office of Financial Aid. Call (503) 370-6273 or (877) 744-3736 (toll-free) for a paper version of FAFSA. Inquiries regarding the status of loan processing or work-study awards should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid.

The Federal Stafford Loan Programs

Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are available at a combined maximum of $20,500 annually. A FAFSA and a Federal Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) are required. You will receive the MPN after you accept the loan(s) on your award response.

Graduate PLUS/Private Educational Loans

There are a number of sources for these credit-based educational loans. Some will require a cosigner. Graduate PLUS/ Private Educational Loans are more expensive (interest rates, fees, etc.) than Federal Stafford Loans and should be utilized only as a last resort.

Other Private Loan Programs

Several private loan programs are also available to law students. These are credit-based private loans and, in some circumstances, may require a co-signer. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information at, (503) 370-6273 or (877) 744-3736 (toll-free).


Work-study awards are usually available only to second- and third-year law students. Due to academic demands, first-year students are advised against any kind of part-time employment.

Work-study opportunities for law students in their second and third years include both on- and off-campus employment and, historically, are in law-related positions. The program requires annual FAFSA filing to be a candidate for work-study monies. For more information, contact the Willamette University Office of Financial Aid.

Outside Resources

Your search for financial assistance should not be limited to Willamette. Many other organizations provide aid to law students.

Oregon Student Assistance Commission

Although Willamette University is a private, independent university, an Oregon resident attending the College of Law may be eligible for a number of private scholarships administered by the Oregon Student Assistance Commission (OSAC). Applications for these scholarships are usually available from OSAC in the year preceding enrollment in law school. For more information, contact the OSAC toll free in Oregon at 800-452-8807.

Oregon State Bar

The Oregon State Bar Diversity & Inclusion Department provides opportunities for minority and disadvantaged students attending Oregon law schools. Contact the Oregon State Bar at (503) 431-6338 for more information.

Scholarship Databases

There are numerous scholarship search databases accessible on the internet. The Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid, available through, offers links to several scholarship search databases. You also will find excellent information on the aid process, descriptions of various loan programs, loan calculators for estimating repayment, and budget worksheets.

We have compiled a listing of some external scholarship opportunities as an example of scholarships that can be found through and other resources.

Useful Webpages

The following websites provide useful information: