About the Program
The Willamette MBA Mentorship Program matches students with experienced professionals for guidance and support. The mission is to foster relationships between corporate leaders, alumni, and current students providing an invaluable link between academic theories and the realities of successful employment. The primary goal is for the mentor to coach the student with their stated professional development goals throughout the academic year. Mentors are chosen for their success in business, government and not-for-profit careers and their coaching/mentoring abilities and interests. Their commitment is to a face-to-face meeting once per month with the student, August through April.
Students are paired with a professional with similar interests and/or the ability to coach in a specific area. The student and the mentor develop a plan together and them implement their plan over the year. Examples of activities include meeting monthly for lunch/breakfast, attending networking events together, job shadows, golf, or whatever the team decides would be the most effective way to implement the plan.
Students enrolled in the Full-time MBA and MBAP program are eligible to participate. Priority goes to students in the second year of their program. (NOTE: MBAP students may also participate as a mentor)
Student Requirements of the Program
- Take the initiative to schedule meetings with their mentor. This means being proactive about setting dates, setting objectives for each meeting, discussing communication styles and following through.
- Attend all mentorship meetings (July 21 webinar, August 23 Kickoff Event, January 19 luncheon)
- Complete a Professional Development Plan and turn in no later than September 20th
- Update the Career Director monthly on plan progress
Apply to the Program
- Complete an application
- First year students Deadline - by Friday, June 9th
- Returning students Deadline - by Friday, June 16th
- Schedule a mentorship interview with Director, Beth Ursin on Gradleaders or by contacting the Career Management office 503.370.6167 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be held in person or via SKYPE during June and July