“When you join a new organization, you must demonstrate an ability to navigate the cultural norms, adapt to change, and be willing and able to learn disciplines beyond your comfort zone. I believe these traits are key to a successful career. During my career, I was the beneficiary of excellent development opportunities-inside and external to my organization. These were real game changers for me and I believe they can be for others as well. The MBA and Executive Development Center programs provide the same type of opportunities for personal stretch and transformation leading to success in one’s professional life.”
Mike Pittman spent the majority of his career in the utility and energy industry in a variety of roles. For over ten years, he was the senior executive for human resources for PacifiCorp and later ScottishPower. As a member of the executive team, Mike participated in all major strategic discussions. Translating organizational strategy into people strategies has been some of his most rewarding work. Over his career he has had responsibility for all human resource functions including employee and labor relations, compensation and benefits, health and safety, talent management, and organizational development. During his career, he has participated in merger and acquisition teams, worked in operational roles, and led cross-functional programs. In addition, Mike chaired the PacifiCorp Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the company.
Semi-retired since 2006, Mike has provided consulting services to large and small organizations through his People Solutions for Business Group (PSGB LLC). For large organizations, his work has primarily centered on executive coaching. For smaller organizations, the work has been broad ranging, including a focus on general earnings improvement.
Throughout his career, Mike has believed strongly in community development and has served on numerous non-profit boards as well as getting involved with hands-on volunteer work. He currently is most active on the Santa Barbara, California chapter of Social Venture Partners where he serves on the Executive Committee.
- A.M.P., Harvard Business School
- M.S., University of Washington
- B.S., University of Washington
Areas of Instruction
Utility Management, Human Resources
Select Current and Past Professional Activities
- Board Member and past Chair, Oregon Public Employees Retirement System - Governor Appointment
- Executive Committee, Social Venture Partners Santa Barbara, CA
- Past Director, PacifiCorp Board
- Past Chair, Board of Directors, PacifiCorp Foundation for Learning
- Past Director, Association for Portland Progress
- Past Director and Past President - Court Appointed Special Advocates
- Past Director and Executive Committee Member - Neighborhood Partnership Fund
- Past Chair, Steering Committee, Labor and Management Public Affairs Committee (West Coast organization of IBEW and investor owned utilities)
- Past President - The Oregon Partnership
- Past President - Pacific Northwest Industrial Hygiene Association