The Accounting area of interest develops the knowledge and skills of managerial accounting, financial accounting and reporting that are key to organizational decision-making and communicating with stakeholders.
Elective courses include some of the courses required for professional certifications such as CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner), CMA (Certified Managerial Accountant), CPA (Certified Public Accountant), and CIA (Certified Internal Auditor). Students interested in these certifications are encouraged to verify certification requirements with the appropriate professional associations or governing bodies.
Accounting experiential elective courses such as "Fraud and Controls" offer opportunities for experiential work with real clients. Students also benefit from the professional, leadership and networking opportunities available through the Atkinson Accounting Association.
The elective courses listed below are recommended for students interested in Accounting. Students may select courses from the list and from other areas of interest to build a customized individual program that meets their specific goals.
Elective courses in each area of interest are offered every year. It is possible that a specific course may not be offered in a given year and that previous courses will be replaced by new courses.
Highly Recommended Elective Courses
- GSM 6006 - Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examination
- GSM 6203 - Seminar in Benefit-Cost Analysis
- GSM 6204 - Auditing: Risk and Controls
- GSM 6205 - Financial Reporting
- GSM 6206 - Financial Statement Analysis
- GSM 6210 - Managerial Accounting
- GSM 6245 - Seminar in Management Control
Other Recommended Elective Courses
- GSM 6211 - Managing Organizational Change
- GSM 6215 - Compensation and Rewards
- GSM 6249 - Project Management
- GSM 6268 - Leadership
- GSM 6280 - Strategic Finance
- GSM 6283 - Corporate Finance
- GSM 6286 – Negotiation
- GSM 7251 - Internship