Getting Started

Academic Accommodation Request Process

Academic accommodations exist in order to enable individuals with disabilities to have an equal opportunity to participate in their academic program. To request disability-related academic accommodations, follow this process:

  1. Register with Accessible Education Services (AES) by completing our online application and submitting your disability documentation. If you are unable to submit your documentation via the second page of the online application, you can submit it through mail, email, or fax, or you can bring it to the office in person. NOTE: Only admitted Willamette students with a Willamette network account can access this application. Prospective students should contact AES directly.
  2. Contact AES via phone (503-370-6737) or email ( to set up an appointment.Bring appropriate disability documentation to your appointment or fax it to the AES office.
  3. Come to your appointment with an AES representative to discuss your accommodations requests. The AES representative may be able to determine your eligibility during the meeting. Otherwise, the representative will contact you after the meeting with your eligibility determination.
  4. Once you are determined eligible, receive your letter of accommodation from AES.
  5. Share your letter of accommodation with your professors and discuss in-class accommodations with them.*

*Some students in the graduate programs request total confidentiality. In those cases, the liaison of the particular program and the Accessible Education Services office will facilitate the accommodations.

All accommodations should be requested prior to the start of the term or within the first few weeks. For accommodations such as books in electronic format, interpreters, or any situation that involves extra time to implement, students are to contact the Accessible Education Services office as soon as they have been admitted or, for returning students, once they have selected their classes for the next semester.

Notify the AES office as soon as possible if you experience any barriers to equal opportunity during the semester or if your accommodations are not working.

Housing Accommodation Request Process

Students with disabilities may request disability-related housing accommodations through the Office of Accessible Education Services. An individual with a disability is defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment. Please follow the Housing Accommodation Request Process when requesting disability-related housing accommodations. For more information about housing accommodations, including service animals and emotional support animals, visit our Accessible Housing Accommodations page.

Decision Review Process

This information is also available in print by request.