General Ledger (GL) Journal Entry (JE) Guidelines


A journal entry transfers funds between university general ledger accounts.

University General Ledger accounts include

  • Departmental budget accounts
  • Grant/Restricted accounts
  • Student Organization accounts
  • Custodial accounts


  1. All journal entries must be submitted on the current approved form, which may be downloaded from Campus Use Forms Instructions are included with the form.
  2. Journal entries must be completed electronically in order to prevent errors that result from handwritten forms.
  3. All journals must be signed by an approved budget officer in the line labeled "Budget Officer Approval Signature".
  4. All journals should include a plain English explanation and sufficient supporting documentation to facilitate review and approval.
  5. Journals that are longer than one printed page must also be submitted electronically so they can be uploaded directly. In this instance, follow the 4 steps below.
    • Print the JE form, sign (see Step 3 above), then write on the top of the form JE GLIM IMPORT and send the hard copy to the Accounting Office through campus mail or hand deliver it.
    • Save the JE form on your desktop, do not change the extension of the macro file name, it should default to: .xlsm
    • Email the form as an attachment to
    • Always use the JE GLIM Import Template provided on Campus Use Forms to ensure you are using an up to date form.

NOTE: If you change the file name .xlsm to a regular excel workbook, such as .xls this will cause an error in processing and the file will be returned to you for correction, which will delay posting of your journal entry.