You start by following this simple list - the "Must-Do" Job Search Checklist (PDF document) - to find job openings.
- You need to do these eight things at a minimum.
- Start with #1 and don't quit until you get through #8.
Watch our Job Search Strategies video: Please take 5 minutes to watch this popular video before you start clicking around the listing sites because you will be able to create a smarter strategy after you see it
There are several programs that can help you succeed in the job search:
- JobCat - internships, part-time, full time, work study and campus jobs, etc.
- Passport to Professionalism - For internship assignments.
- Switchboard – a simple social network for students, alumni, faculty, and staff where you can ask for what you need and offer what you have. Looking for an internship? Want career advice? Need information about a particular field? Switchboard it! Need more information? Watch this short introductory video. Sign up then check out this new-user FAQ.
- LinkedIn – the world’s largest professional online network. By optimizing LinkedIn, you can make connections, network with fellow Bearcats and other professionals, learn about different career options and find jobs. Create a profile and join the Alumni Association LinkedIn group and connect with this 3,000-member strong group of alumni from all generations and career fields. Check out this simple LinkedIn Resource Guide: LinkedIn_Guide_for_Students_and_Alumni.pdf
Willamette students and alumni have found these links to be useful in the job search: