It is the responsibility of the student athlete to report all injuries to the Certified Athletic Trainers as soon as possible. The Sports Medicine Staff will make all of the necessary medical referrals as indicated. The athlete should at no time seek outside medical attention for an athletic related injury without prior authorization from the Sports Medicine staff, unless the injury results in a medical emergency.
*Medical treatment must begin within 90 days from date of Accident or onset of symptoms.
What to do if you have an injury:
- Notify your coach and Health Athletic Trainer of the injury to insure coverage
- Follow the trainers instructions
- Seek care according to the rules of your Primary Insurance Policy
- The Willamette Athletic Policy will pay claims as a secondary insurance at 100% only if the guidelines of the primary insurance policy are followed.
- Students who are enrolled in Kaiser Permanente or Group Health need to obtain an Oregon Visiting ID number from Kaiser Member Services (800) 972-7207. Please obtain an Oregon Visiting ID number before coming to school, not having this Oregon Visiting ID number could put a delay on medical treatment from a Kaiser facility. Students with Kaiser Permanente or Group Health that have an athletic injury must obtain services at a Kaiser Permanente facility.
- Students who have a primary insurance plan that only covers Emergency Room and Urgent Care Services while studying in Salem (such as a HMO plan from another state) will have to return home for athletic injury treatment unless their primary insurance plan authorizes a referral for treatment in Salem, OR.
*Students may want to consider purchasing the Willamette Student Health Insurance Policy (Aetna Student Health) to ensure robust medical coverage in Salem, OR.
It is the student-athlete’s responsibility to secure all bills and payment receipts for submission.
Referrals to Off-Campus Physicians or Medical Specialist
All student athlete ‘off-campus’ medical referrals MUST have prior authorization from the Sports Medicine Staff. Proper documentation must be reviewed before clearance for return to participation in athletics will be given.
Willamette University’s Intercollegiate Athletic Insurance shall be responsible for injuries incurred to the mouth and to sound natural teeth while participating in an official practice or game. Teeth that have had any dental work are often not considered sound and so we recommend a mouth guard be worn.