It is the responsibility of the student athlete to report all injuries to the Certified Athletic Trainers as soon as possible. The Sports Medicine Staff will make all of the necessary medical referrals as indicated. The athlete should at no time seek outside medical attention for an athletic related injury without prior authorization from the Sports Medicine staff, unless the injury results in a medical emergency.
*Medical treatment must begin within 90 days from date of Accident or onset of symptoms.
What to do if you have an injury:
- Notify your coach and Head Athletic Trainer of the injury to insure coverage.
- Confirm that a claim has been submitted for your injury
- Follow the Athletic Trainers instructions
- Obtain the Willamette Sport Policy Insurance Card from the Willamette Athletic Trainers. Give the medical provider your primary insurance card as well as your secondary Willamette Sport Policy billing information.
- Questions call Student Insurance Office, Bishop Wellness Center at (503) 370-6062.
*Note: Students who are enrolled in Kaiser Permanente or Group Health need to obtain an Oregon Visiting ID number from Kaiser Member Services (800) 972-7207. Please obtain an Oregon Visiting ID number before coming to school, not having this Oregon Visiting ID number could put a delay on medical treatment from a Kaiser facility.
*Students may want to consider purchasing the Willamette Student Health Insurance Policy (PacificSource Health Plans) to ensure robust medical coverage in Salem, OR.
It is the student-athlete’s responsibility to secure all bills and payment receipts for submission.
Referrals to Off-Campus Physicians or Medical Specialist
All student athlete ‘off-campus’ medical referrals MUST have prior authorization from the Sports Medicine Staff. Proper documentation must be reviewed before clearance for return to participation in athletics will be given.