Injury Reporting Procedures

It is the responsibility of the student athlete to report all injuries to the Certified Athletic Trainers as soon as possible. The Sports Medicine Staff will make all of the necessary medical referrals as indicated. The athlete should at no time seek outside medical attention for an athletic related injury without prior authorization from the Sports Medicine staff, unless the injury results in a medical emergency.

Medical treatment must begin within 90 days from date of Accident or onset of symptoms.

Referrals to Off-Campus Physicians or Medical Specialist

All student athlete ‘off-campus’ medical referrals MUST have prior authorization from the Sports Medicine Staff. Proper documentation must be reviewed before clearance for return to participation in athletics will be given.

Dental Care

Willamette University’s Intercollegiate Athletic Insurance shall be responsible for injuries incurred to the mouth and to sound natural teeth while participating in an official practice or game. Teeth that have had any dental work are often not considered sound and so we recommend a mouth guard be worn.

Filing a Claim

For insurance coverage to take effect, certain minimal requirements are necessary. The injured athlete MUST:

  • File and sign an athletic accident claim form following the injury which can be obtained from the certified athletic trainer.
  • Submit all bills to your primary insurance carrier, and then submit bills along with your primary insurance carrier’s explanation of benefits statements (EOB) to the Athletic Insurance Carrier. Providers will usually bill both plans for the student when asked. If assistance is needed bring those bills and EOBs to the Student Insurance Services office at Bishop Wellness Center.

It is the student-athlete’s responsibility to secure all bills and payment receipts for submission.