Fall Deadline: September 14, 2015 (5pm)
*Note: The waiver website will be available to complete online waivers till Tuesday, September 15, 2015 (5pm)
If you have health insurance that is comparable to the Willamette Student Health Insurance Plan offered through a different insurance company (i.e., through a parent/guardian, employer, spouse, or other source) and DO NOT want to take part in the Willamette Plan, you must complete the online waiver process starting July 20, 2015 and complete by September 14, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. or you will be automatically enrolled in the Willamette plan and the charge, which must be paid, will remain on your student account.
Students are expected to maintain comparable health insurance coverage at all times during the academic school year. If during the year your existing coverage is canceled it is the student’s responsibility to contact the WU Student Health Services to discuss the options for obtaining alternative coverage such as an individual plan or picking up the WU Student Plan with proof of loss of coverage.
Waivers should be submitted online through Aetna and instructions can be found to the right on this page.
- Approved waivers remain in effect through the end of that academic year (Fall through Summer). If you submit a waiver in Fall and it is approved, it will apply to both the Fall and Spring semesters. If you plan on attending during the next academic year, you must submit a new waiver for that year in the fall.
Spring Deadline: February 1, 2016 (5pm)
*Note: The Spring Waiver process is only open to new incoming or returning students who were not enrolled in the Fall 2015 semester.
New incoming students Spring Semester need to complete the Willamette Student Health Insurance Waiver Form if you are waiving the Willamette Student Insurance Plan. Please email the Student Insurance Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the waiver form, this waiver form will be sent to you Monday, December 14, 2015. The deadline to submit the Spring Waiver Form to the Student Insurance Department in the Bishop Wellness Center is Monday, February 1, 2016 (5pm). There is not an online version for Spring Semester.
- If you submit a waiver in the Spring Semester and it is approved, it will apply only to the Spring/Summer semesters. If you plan on attending during the next academic year, you must submit a new waiver for that year in the Fall.
U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents
Criteria for waiving the health insurance requirement:
- Does your plan provide inpatient and outpatient mental health coverage?
- Does your plan cover medications prescribed by a doctor including contraceptives?
- Does your health plan provide health insurance coverage throughout the academic year?
- I understand that by waiving the Willamette Student Health Insurance Plan, I can still obtain services at Bishop Wellness Center.
- Does your plan provide inpatient and outpatient medical care within a 50 mile radius of Salem, OR?
If you are enrolled in a HMO plan that does not meet this requirement you will be asked to formally acknowledge that you understand you may have to return home for uncovered services.
*Note: If you are considering the waiver option because you have other coverage, review the details of your other coverage carefully to make sure all your health care needs will be met throughout the year.