Requesting a Waiver for WU Student Health Insurance
If your own health insurance gives you comparable coverage, you may be able to waive out of the university's student health insurance.
- Proof of "comparable insurance" is defined by the Waiver Criteria (see Health Insurance Requirement document).
- You have ONE opportunity to request a Waiver each year. See the Health Insurance Enrollment/Waiver Request form for instructions and requirements.
- Waiver approvals from previous years DO NOT transfer into the next year.
- A new Waiver Request must be completed during the waiver period each fall.
- No one is automatically given a waiver nor is a waiver guaranteed.
- Each individual student must submit their own waiver request with all required documentation, even if you have other insurance provided by a sponsored.
- If you use the health insurance before the waiver request deadline, you are no longer eligible for a waiver.
- NO DEADLINE EXTENSIONS are given.
- Incomplete or late waiver requests are ineligible for a waiver.
- Your waiver request that fully meets the criteria must be submitted BY THE DEADLINE.
- If you aren't sure if your health insurance meets the criteria, submit your request AT LEAST two weeks prior to the deadline.
Review of waiver requests is done by the Office of International Education. If you are approved for a waiver, the charges for the WU health insurance will be deducted from your student account. If you are not approved or do not apply for a waiver, you will remain on the Willamette University Student Health Insurance Plan and be responsible for the costs.
Fall Waiver Deadline: Monday, September 11, 2017
Spring Waiver Deadline: Monday, January 29, 2018 (for students whose first semester is spring 2018)
SPRING waiver applies only if you BEGIN your program at Willamette in the spring. The January waiver process DOES NOT apply to students who also studied in the previous fall.
Waiver Criteria and Waiver Request instructions- please refer to the Enrollment & Waiver Request form.