MEMORIZATION: One PIECE of the study plan
MEMORIZATION: More effective as a REPETITIVE ACT
MEMORIZATION: Repeat to AUTOMATICITY
GOAL: Long Term Retention
- Make flashcards with basic concepts, formulas, definitions.
- Randomize the order of the items.
- Start with three cards.
- Overlearn (2+2=4): say, see, hear, visualize, tactile (know your learning style).*
- Add one card to the set of three. Randomize and work until the fourth card is also "overlearned".
- When you add the sixth card, drop one of the original three. Randomize and work until the new card is "over-learned".
- Continue to add 1 card and drop 1 card until the last card has been "overlearned".
- Follow procedure daily until information is rapidly and automatically recalled.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a day, 15-20 minutes each.
* To discover your learning style:www.vark-learn.com
Adapted from John L. Tenny, Ph.D