The resources are intended to get started looking in the right places for various kinds of travel related information - this is by no means an exhaustive list of resources. The Office of International Education does not endorse any resources below that may sell a service or product.
Remember to always look for student discounts on tickets, hotels and entrance fees. The International Student Identity Card can be useful, especially in Europe.
- Department of State Students Abroad webpage, includes links to information about travel documents, health, emergencies, voting, etc.
- List of all the embassies located in Washington DC
- U.S. embassies and consulates worldwide
- U.S. Department of State passport services, including downloadable passport forms. you can also get forms at major post offices, at the courthouse, and sometimes in our office.
- U.S. Department of State Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) - online registration program that helps the U.S. Department of State contact you in case of an emergency at home or abroad.
- U.S. Department of State travel advisories
- U.S. Department of State arrested abroad, a description of the assistance provided by the US if a citizen is arrested abroad, also details what assistance cannot be given
- U.S. Department of State country information
Safety & Health
- U.S. Department of State Travel Page - information on everything from wiring money to crisis preparedness
- U.S. Department of State emergencies abroad
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention - required and recommended immunizations and health tips by region
- Center for Disease Control Environmental Health - how to deal with environmental health hazards from air pollution to earthquakes
- Sexual Harassment and Prevention in College Students Studying Abroad - SAFETI On-line Newsletter article by Nancy Newport, Licensed Professional Counselor and Consultant to the Peace Corps
- World Health Organization Travel and Health website
- Americans Overseas Domestic Violence Crisis Center - for U.S. women who are abroad
- Local (Salem) travel clinic for assistance with immunizations Salem Travel Clinic - also consult with your own physician or a travel clinic in your area
- Food allergy articles and resources: Survival Kit: Studying Abroad With a Food Allergy (Go Abroad), Studying Abroad with Food Allergies (Allergic Living), free resources from Allergy Translation
Diversity and Inclusion Abroad
- Mobility International USA (MIUSA) - Empowering people with disabilities around the world to achieve their human rights through international exchange and international development. MIUSA Exchange programs
- National Clearinghouse on Disability and Exchange: Step by Step Guide to the International Exchange Process
- TSA Cares is a helpline to assist travelers with disabilities and medical conditions, prior to getting to the airport. Travelers may call TSA Cares toll free at 1-855-787 2227 prior to traveling with questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint.
- U.S. Department of State Students Abroad students with disabilities webpage
Race and Ethnicity
- DiversityAbroad.com: Essential Guides, Alumni Stories, Study Abroad Articles information for students from diverse economic, educational, ethnic and social backgrounds
- AllAbroad.us: Helping students from diverse backgrounds find study abroad resources and obtain advice from study abroad mentors (some content in Spanish).
- Glimpse: Race abroad: addresses the challenges of reconciling one's ethnic and national identity while abroad and adapting to different attitudes toward racial difference and/or different kinds of prejudice.
- On She Goes: A digital travel platform that helps women of color travel more confidently, more adventurously, and more often.
- Equaldex:Equaldex is a collaborative knowledge base for the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) movement. Includes an interactive map that offers information about legal status and social climate around a range of topics related to sexual identity, gender identity and discrimination.
- International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and IntersexAssociation (ILGA.org) - country specific information related to sexual identity, maps on LGBTI rights and legislation around the world.
- International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission/Outright International: dedicated to human rights advocacy on behalf of people who experience discrimination or abuse on the basis of their actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
- National Center for Transgender Equality: includes international and travel resources for transgendered people
- NAFSA Rainbow Special Interest Group (SIG): information for US students abroad compiled by NAFSA: Association of International Educators Rainbow SIG.
- U.S. Department of State: LGBT travelers
General resources for diversity and inclusion abroad:
- Diversity Abroad - Articles: Student-written articles from previous study abroad participants sharing experiences and tips on a broad range of topics.
- Unpacked - IFSA-Butler: An online study abroad guide for student written largely by former study abroad participants covering a wide range of topics and identities from diversity and inclusion to money matters to family matters.
- Identity and Diversity - Northwestern University: Resources related to accessibility, first generation students, gender, LGBTQ+, race and ethnicity, religion and spirituality and students with high financial need.
- STA Travel - online student travel agency
- Travel Cuts - online student travel agency
- SkyAuction - great airfares are up for bid!
- Student Universe - online student travel
- Currency Converter - foreign exchange rates
- The World Clock - time zone converter
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- Worldwide MasterCard ATM Locator
- Worldwide Visa ATM Locator
- Monetos - a European Information Portal (EU countries only) - money, health, medical and other information about living in the EU.
- iFly.com - Airport Guides and Up to Date Information.
- Travel guides can be found at the Willamette Bookstore, ask about how to get 25% off.
- Lonely Planet - all continents
- Fodor's - all continents
- Let's Go - Europe, Central America, United States and Southeast Asia
- Rick Steves - Europe only
- Hostelz.com and Internet Guide to Hostelling - worldwide hostel guides
- Rough Guides - all continents