Non-Willamette Programs

There are two options for participating in a Non-Willamette Program:

1. Request approval to use a Non-WU program through Willamette
You complete a WU Sponsored Study Abroad Application by the deadline. This is the same process used for applying for a sponsored program. By doing so, you are requesting the Off-Campus Study Committee to approve your Non-Willamette Program to be considered a WU-sponsored program, for you, on a one-time basis.

HOW: When you enter the WU study abroad application portal, use the program list to find the program called "Non-WU: Request to Approve" and complete the application by the fall deadline for study abroad. As part of the application, you will be asked to submit specific information about the Non-WU program you are proposing. You may request WU to sponsor one semester of a non-WU program. There are two important things to remember:

  • Supporting your request: The committee will expect you to provide a strong academic case in your application for approving your Non-Willamette program, including materials that outline the program's course of study and costs. If approved, the program is considered an "Approved as WU" program.
  • Financial considerations: If approved, you will pay WU tuition to Willamette via your student account. WU will pay up to a maximum of $10,300 towards the cost of the Approved as WU program directly to the program, as those costs appear on the standard invoice for that program. This does not include airfare, visa related costs, or other incidental costs related to participation in the program. If the cost of the Approved as WU program exceeds $10,300, you will be billed the difference via your WU student account. If it is less than $10,300.00, you do not receive any financial credit for the difference. Students are responsible for paying any application fees associated with their Approved as WU program.

2. Take a leave foreign study- retaining your place at WU while you are on a non-Willamette program
Credits may be transferred as generic non-Willamette credits as determined by the WU Registrar. It is, however, Willamette policy not to accept any transfer credit for study while on a leave from a partner institution when a Willamette Program is concurrently operating there.

HOW: You make arrangements for these programs, including how you will get credit, in consultation with the Office of the Registrar, the Office of Financial Aid, and your academic advisor and/or major department. You may take this option at any time- there is no "deadline", although care should be taken to make the proper arrangements with the Office of the Registrar in a timely manner.