To Apply: Use the Willamette study abroad application portal. The program name is Summer U.S. - Chicago. The deadline is December 6, 2016 for summer 2017 participation.
The Chicago Center for Urban Life and Culture (CCULC) offers the diverse city of Chicago as the setting for an eight and a half week summer program (Summer 1: June 7 - August 9, 2017). Students enter into internships in their vocational field of choice. The center has networked with over 300 different organizations to offer a broad support system and to ensure your successful placement within the community.
Notes about the internship: Students in the summer program will receive assistance from CCULC staff, but students should be aware that they will be contacting companies to arrange their own interviews for placements. Resource lists of past placement sites will be provided to students, but students are also encouraged to find their own placement locations as those provided may not cover all of the possible interests of students coming to the center. Previous student participants have said it helps if students begin looking for internships and contacting companies in advance of arrival to the Chicago Center and to understand that you will be expected to complete the internship search process within the first week of arrival. If you have questions about the internship, you are encouraged to email email@example.com or contact CCULC staff.
- NEW! See a profile of Emma, currently studying at CCULC in fall 2016, which highlights her practicum placement at Cornerstone Community Outreach.
- NEW! Video posted online that gives a tour of the Chicago program housing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnvb2aGoAk.
The CCULC is located in Hyde Park. See an interesting video to entice you here! This area within the city was highlighted in a 2012 article in American Way magazine. A time lapse view of Chicago is available here.
** After acceptance by WU, students will complete a supplementary CCULC application and pay a $50 CCULC application fee. The CCULC application IS NOT required by December 6, 2016. You will be directed on when and how to submit the CCULC application AFTER the WU selection process has been completed (in spring 2017) and after you have been notified of your acceptance. **
Location: Chicago, Illinois - U.S.
Professor: CCULC faculty
Credit: Earns 2 credits: IDS 343, Field Studies in Chicago (1 cr.) and IDS 395, Chicago Internship (1 cr.).
Dates: The CCULC "Summer 1" program runs from June 7 - August 9, 2017. Students accepted into the program will receive specific arrival instructions. DO NOT book a flight until you are directed about arrival after your initial orientation in spring 2017.
Costs paid to WU: The 2017 summer program cost is $7,720 (the portion paid to WU). The program cost covers WU tuition, CCULC academic instruction and internship oversight, excursions, transportation passes, housing in a CCULC-owned brownstone (8-10 students per apartment; most bedrooms in the apartments are shared occupancy), and a meal stipend. Airfare to and from Chicago is not included.
Costs paid directly to the Chicago Center:
- CCULC application: Students who are accepted complete a secondary application for the Chicago Center AFTER they accept their placement. An online application fee of $50 will need to be paid to the Chicago Center when submitting the CCULC application.
- Housing Security deposit: Students pay a $100 refundable housing security deposit to the Chicago Center upon arrival.
- Excursion lunches: Participants visit various city locations as part of the program. The cost of meals (lunches out) during these program visits is NOT included in the program fee, so students should plan to take money for these excursions ($200 for the summer program).
Information Session: Please see http://www.willamette.edu/dept/oie/abroad/events/index.html for list of study abroad information sessions.