WILLAMETTE STUDENTS MUST USE THE COMMON STUDY ABROAD APPLICATION. The deadline is December 6, 2016 for summer 2017 participation. When you are ready to apply, start here: http://willamette.edu/dept/oie/abroad/apply/index.html.
** SUMMER LANGUAGE PROGRAM IN ECUADOR **
Offered every summer. You must complete at least ONE YEAR (SPAN 131, 132) of college level Spanish AND be enrolled in a Spanish course during Spring semester prior to the start of this program.
The intensive Spanish study program in Ecuador is located in the capital city of Quito, high in the equatorial Andes. Students live with host families (including full meals and laundry) and participate in excursions throughout Ecuador (Otavalo, the beach, the jungle). Students take intensive language courses at ACLAS, the Andean Center for Latin American Studies and are accompanied by a professor from the WU Spanish department.
- Location: Quito, Ecuador
- Professor: Prof. Erica Duncan, Spanish Department
- Credit: Earn 2.0 WU Spanish language credits at the 200 (SPAN 231, 232) or 300 (SPAN 390, 391) level. You must complete at least ONE YEAR (SPAN 131, 132) of college level Spanish AND be enrolled in a Spanish course during Spring semester prior to the start of this program.
- Dates: Classes are from Monday, May 29, 2017 through Friday, July 7, 2017 [Special notes: Students selected MUST be able to travel to Quito on Saturday, May 27, 2017 (no earlier, no later). Students selected will be given specific instructions on when to arrive (time of day), so please do not book tickets until AFTER the first orientation in spring 2017. If you book incorrectly, you will be required to rebook your flight at your expense.] Housing benefit in Quito ends on July 8, 2017.
- Costs: Based on a minimum of 15 students: $6,160 (includes tuition, full room and board, excursions, onsite support, study abroad health insurance and more).
- Airfare to and from Ecuador IS NOT included in the program cost. Transportation to and from the Quito airport to your host family IS included provided all of the group arrives on the same date and time (you will be told after acceptance into the program). If you do not arrived as instructed, at minimum you will be charged $75 for incorrectly booking but you can also be required to rebook your ticket at your expense. We do not book group flights so that you can take advantage of any options you may have (miles, family travel benefits, etc.) BUT you still must book to arrive as instructed.
- Textbooks are also NOT included in the program cost. Students will be directed about textbooks to buy after selection in the program.
- Participants are also required to purchase and use a local cell phone while on the program in Ecuador.
- Possible Scholarship (external to WU and the OIE): Students interested in this program should consider applying for Gilman summer scholarships. Students who are receiving Federal Pell Grants and are studying abroad for at least 4 weeks in one country are eligible to apply for Benjamin A. Gilman scholarships. Those interested should consult the Gilman website for more information, http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program/Deadlines-and-Timeline#Summer and http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program/Application-Process. If these links are not working, start from the main Gilman page, http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program. Application forms and deadlines are posted on the Gilman website.
Information Session: Please see http://www.willamette.edu/dept/oie/abroad/events/index.html for list of study abroad information sessions.