Purpose: This policy and these procedures establish that all university space is centrally controlled to make best use of university resources.Policy:
- Our first priority in scheduling space is to support customary academic pursuits.
- During the academic year, ordinary scheduling of learning space is the responsibility of the registrar, and scheduling of space for all other purposes is the responsibility of the scheduling office.
- Centrally scheduled space use by Willamette students, faculty, or staff takes precedence over other uses, unless a contracted commitment exists.
- All use of space must be approved through the scheduling process before being placed into the central calendar.
- Conflicts may require negotiated solutions between interested parties. The registrar or scheduling office may become involved in settling conflicts.
- The scheduling office is the university’s responsible department for determining whether a proposed use of space is qualified as internal Willamette University use, or third party use.
- The use of specialized spaces in academic buildings for non-academic purposes must be approved by the responsible dean before moving forward as a proposed event. After approval, these events must be approved and registered through the scheduling office.
- All use of space on Willamette University property must follow policy guidelines for contracting and insurance. These contracts are issued through the scheduling office.
“Customary academic pursuits”: academic credit-bearing courses and course-related meetings and events.
“Learning Space”: Classroom and other space specifically dedicated to scheduled classes.
“Central Calendar”: Willamette University’s system of record, EMS, approved through the Office of Scheduling.
“Specialized space”: Some examples are hearths, music spaces, galleries, hallways, etc.
Standardized Policy Information
*Effective Date: February 1, 2015
*Last Revision Date: January 23, 2015
*Last Review Date: January 23, 2015
*Next Anticipated Review: February 1, 2017
*Responsible University Office: Vice President for Campus Planning & Facilities
*Responsible University Administrator: Director of Scheduling, Events and Conferences
*Primary Policy Contact: 503-370-6241, email@example.com