Below are some guidelines for posting publicity on campus. If a student or student organization wishes to go beyond posting flyers or posters, they must consult a member of the Student Activities staff on the 2nd floor of the University Center for more information and approval. Every effort will be made to accommodate a special request, as long as the following principles are followed:
- publicity that contains obscene language or references to alcoholic beverages or illegal substances will not be approved,
- publicity may not be anonymous; the name of the sponsoring individual or group must be displayed as well as contact information such as an email address or phone number,
- a cleaning charge will be assessed if materials are not removed 24 hours after the event (e.g., painting windows, sidewalk chalking, helium balloons, etc.), and
- the Office of Student Activities reserves the right to discuss concerns with the individual or group prior to posting the material.
Some buildings on campus have special policies that are listed below.
To post publicity in academic buildings, the department secretaries in each of the buildings must grant approval.
Bistro and Willamette Store
Contact the managers individually about their posting policies
Upon approval from the Grounds Manager, outside publicity is permitted as long as nothing is attached to the foliage or outside of buildings. The placement of stakes in the ground must be approved ahead of time so as not to damage underground systems. Chalking is permitted on sidewalks only. Portable sandwich boards are available in the Office of Student Activities on a first-come, first-served basis. Portable barriers are available in the Grounds Department by contacting x6143.
The Office of Student Activities will post flyers and posters, space permitting.
Only registered student organizations can stuff mailboxes. A form is available in the Office of Student Activities or the Mail Center.
The Montag Center is a great place to spread the word about campus activities. Acceptable forms of advertisement include posters, window painting and reader board messages. For information and policies on publicity at the Montag Center, refer to willamette.edu/montag/.
All publicity, with the exception of posting during ASWU elections, must be approved by Housing and Community Life.
For information on this policy, refer to the Student Handbook.
Flyers may be posted on designated bulletin boards on the 1st and 2nd floors.
- Banners may be hung outside on the UC railings. Poster paper is available in the Office of Student Activities for registered student organizations.
- Non-registered groups or individuals may purchase the same paper in the Willamette Store. Please tie the banner to the railing (string is available in Student Activities) and do not use tape.
- Banners may be hung inside the UC, but the space is limited so a sign-up is available at the UC Information Center. Use a 78” long piece of banner paper folded in half for a double-sided banner.
Updated July 2016