- What is an Emergency Communications System?
- Why is the ECS necessary?
- How can I register or edit my contact information?
- If I am no longer a student or employee and I am getting these notifications, how can I get my name taken off the list?
1. What is an Emergency Communications System?
An Emergency Communication System is a method or methods to notify a large group of people with the details of an occurring or pending emergency situation. Examples are weather delays or closures, on-campus or near-campus emergencies that could present a danger, or threatening people on or in the vicinity of campus.
2. Why is the ECS necessary?
In order to help create a safer environment for our students, faculty and staff, Willamette University has purchased a software system that allows the uploading of email addresses, office and residence room phone numbers and cell phone numbers of all campus community members. In the event that an emergency message needs to be sent out, a message can be created and sent via all of these methods in a matter of minutes. The message will notify people of the situation or danger and offer directions or suggestions to avoid certain areas or be cautious about possible situations. Update messages will be sent out with current information, or to let people know that the situation has ended.
3. How can I register or edit my contact information?
Register/edit your information by accessing JASON > "Personal" > "Fusser Guide Update for Students" on the Willamette University internal website. Then enter the number for notification in the field named "Emergency Alert Phone". Any updates will take a couple of days to be updated in the Emergency Notification System.
4. If I am no longer a student or employee and I am getting these notifications, how can I get my name taken off the list?
Your number(s) will automatically be removed from the list at the end of the month that you leave campus. If for some reason it does not get removed, please contact Campus Safety at either 503-370-6911 or email at email@example.com.