Carson Undergraduate Research Grants
Campus Deadline: February 15, 2016
Carson Grants offer Willamette undergraduates the opportunity to undertake a scholarly, creative, or professional research project during the summer. Approximately 10 grants of up to $3,000 are available each year. Students may apply for these competitive grants either as sophomores or juniors. Projects may be creative and artistic, literary, investigative, interdisciplinary, and performative. Recent Carson Scholars have:
- collaborated to write, direct and produce two short films;
- created illuminated manuscript pages using medieval materials and techniques;
- studied the effects of common pesticides on the reproductive cycle of frogs;
- investigated Catholic female religious communities in the United States;
- traveled to Cuba to study revolutionary theatre;
- composed music for wind ensemble.
The deadline for applications for the Carson program is February 15, 2016. Past successful grant proposals and final project reports are on file and available for review in the Academic Commons.
- A "research grant" sounds like something for scientists; what if I'm a painter, or a philosopher?
- The project is supposed to lead to a definite product, but what does "product" mean? Do I write a paper?
- How do I go about finding a grant sponsor?
- What is the sponsor's role?
- What if my sponsor isn't a Willamette faculty member?
- What if my research will cost more than the $3,000 maximum award?
- What are "personal expenses"? How do I determine how much to budget for it?
- My project involves interviewing and surveying people. Do I need approval, and how do I obtain it?
- What if I'm not an expert in the area of my grant proposal?
- What if I get turned down?
- Carson Application Instructions.doc
- Carson Application.doc
- Carson Learning Agreement.doc
- Carson Sponsor Form.doc
- Carson Student Contract.doc
- Carson Sponsor Contract.doc
- Student Waiver Form.docx
- Off Campus Study Release Document.doc
- Carson Undergraduate Research Grants - General Guidelines
- Carson Undergraduate Research Grants - Policies and Procedures
- Carson Undergraduate Research Grants - Tips for Writing Success
- Carson Undergraduate Research Grants - How to Write a Bad Proposal