Campus Deadline: March 14, 2017
View a list of Presidential Senior Scholars
The Presidential Scholarship provides one full semester's tuition to be applied to the student's senior year or a $5,000 graduate fellowship, and $2,500 for research expenses for the summer preceding the student's senior year. The project must continue for at least one semester in the senior year, and receives a maximum of 4 credits for the project (no more than three credits in one semester). Approximately two scholarships are available each year. Students may apply for these competitive scholarships as juniors. Presidential Scholarship projects may extend a student's senior thesis, or allow them to pursue independent work. Recent presidential scholars have:
- Examined the effects of spatial snag distribution on nesting bird species in ponderosa pine forests of the eastern Cascades
- Analyzed use-restriction policies in national parks
- Explored the contemporary historical and political applications of Reinhold Niebuhr's theology
- Studied fin-de-siecle European cultural and intellectual life
- Applied Q-Ball theory to the study of unstable particles
- Assessed the relationship of discrepancies between self-views and perceived other-views to self-handicapping, conformity, and extrinsic goal behaviors
The Presidential proposal deadline is March 14, 2016. Past successful proposals are available for review online in the Academic Commons.
Proposals, transcripts, and supporting materials must be submitted online on WISE, at the site called SAGA Applications. Instructions for joining the site.
- Who should apply?
- I notice that a lot of past presidential scholars have been majoring in the sciences. I am a Philosophy major - will I have a chance?
- What are the most important criteria for selection?
- Can I use the scholarship to finish my thesis?
- Can I still apply for a presidential scholarship if I have received a Carson grant or SCRP grant?
- Does the Undergraduate Awards Committee always select two scholars?
- Presidential Scholarship - Cover Sheet and Proposal Format
- Presidential Scholarship - Policies and Procedures
- Presidential Scholarship - Tips for Writing Success
- Presidential Scholarship - How to Write a Bad Proposal
- Presidential Scholarship - Advice for Recommenders
- Presidential Application Cover Sheet.doc
- Presidential Student Contract.doc
- Presidential Sponsor Contract.doc
- Student Waiver Form.docx